New owner First Service Wrong oil????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsd911

Reaction score
Greetings to all members. We recently purchased a 2017 LR5 TD6 3.0 and so far love the car. It is my second JLR product and despite the reputation this far they have been good vehicles. The local dealer however is another issue. The vehicle was sold to us with a previous accident history not being disclosed. However that is a story in itself and has been settled. It has left me with a bit of trust issues.

So this week I took the Disco in for its first complimentary service. I asked the generally incompetent SA about the type of oil they use and he could not answer. I told him this model requires a very specific ACEA C1 oil due to the DPF which he knew nothing about.

So now on my invoice it shows they used all JLR parts except the oil which is a Volvo part number(they are also a Volvo dealer) PN# 8889951. I cannot find much info on this oil. It is a Castrol Edge product but I believe it is a A3/A5 category oil.

Before I keep driving the car and start accusing anyone of a mistake can someone please confirm if this is the correct oil. My wife thinks I am nuts. I am very particular about my cars and I would like to try to drive this thing for a long time. Yes I have warranty but regardless I do not want to damage anything.

Your advice is appreciated. Photo of invoice is attached. Thanks in advance.

20181104_081057.jpg

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just went to oilspecifications.org and my mind is blown. It definitely says A5/B5 can be unusable in certain vehicles. Luckily I'll just stick with my Castrol for high mileage engines.

Richie04

Reaction score
rsd911, Sir, I am looking at the same basic D5 diesel, but a 2018 model with only 900 miles on the clock. Will be watching your results. Thanks.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a shame, but I can relate. When my LR4 is over I probably won't be getting another JLR product just because of my dealership experiences.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you know, the oils in the links below are what you want, although I am unsure what the difference is between the Pro and "non-pro" versions.

It seems doubtful Volvo would specify the same oil, they do use a Castrol 5W30 in a few engines, but not a C1 that I have seen.

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...070D0E58025827C00542CC3/$File/BPXE-AYLQRU.pdf
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...EACB16880257E8B00705E64/$File/BPXE-9Z23WQ.pdf

Here are a couple other oils that can be used as well if you decide to DIY:

https://www.amazon.com/Ravenol-J1A1571-001-5W-30-Motor-STJLR-03-5005/dp/B07256JN9N
http://www.liqui-moly.eu/liqui-moly/produktdb.nsf/id/en_3724.html?OpenDocument&land=DE

Olivy

Reaction score
i looked up that part number which shows up as a volvo oil part number. volvo description on amazon says castrol edge full synthetic. catstrols web site shows this list of datasheets for castrol edge 5w-30:
Product Name Country Language
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 USA English (US)
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 USA English
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A5/B5 USA English (US)
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A5/B5 USA English
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 C1 USA English (US)
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 C1 USA English
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 C3 USA English (US)
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 LL USA English (US)
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 LL USA English
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 U.S. USA English (US)
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 USA English (US)
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 USA English
EDGE 5W-30 C3 USA English
EDGE 5W-30 U.S. USA English
EDGE USA English
EDGE

You should try to find out what the volvo part number means exactly. there has to be a datasheet or maybe the dealer sells it in quarts? you can look at those bottles? you could even call volvo corporate or call castrol customer service.