New owner with a warranty question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally made it on to this list..! Flew to South Carolina from Kansas City and picked up an awesome 2012 LUX and drove it home..

Before I left, I bought an extended warranty which is pretty much bumper to bumper to 100k.. I figured it would pay for itself on the front suspension stuff around 75k (47k on it now), but was reading into the warranty and it states that all scheduled maintenance must be performed by a certified mechanic..

I bought this truck with the intention of changing my own oil, and performing most service stuff myself.. I got the warranty in case of water pump issues or a drivetrain malfunction that could be thousands to fix..

My question is, does anybody have experience in cashing in on these warranties if you are doing you own maintenance? I don't want to be at the shop with a snapped timing chain and find out that they will not honor it because I changed my own oil..

I have 10 days to refund the warranty.. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, I'm glad to be here. Been wanting for one of these for a long time, and my ship finally came in..:biggrin:

Mike

Haleakala

Reaction score
Hey Mike, I'm in the same boat as you. I just ordered a new LR4 and will be purchasing the extended warranty once it arrives. I plan on doing some of the basic maintenance myself, especially oil changes unless the dealer really makes it worth paying them to do it with the muddy rewards they are offering toward accessories, etc.

There is plenty of reading on this topic on the internet concerning the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. In a nut shell, as I read it, you have to keep records and receipts of what and when you you do. You must use OEM parts or parts that meet spec. And if something goes wrong, they would have to prove what you did in fact caused the problem.

I myself have never gotten into a extended warranty period, but I have never had issues with Dodge, Mitsu, Subaru and Nissan warranty claims while performing my own oil changes.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, that is exactly what I was looking for.. I normally keep good logs of my maintenance, so I'll make sure to keep tuned to the factory spec products to be safe..

Now I need to come across a maintenance schedule.. The schedules for fluids (diffs, transfer case, transmission) that are quoted on this forum are *significantly* different than the one that came with the truck, and I would rather change them more often than too late..

Thanks again, off to buy a Mityvac!

richardhdz

Reaction score
I finally made it on to this list..! Flew to South Carolina from Kansas City and picked up an awesome 2012 LUX and drove it home..

Before I left, I bought an extended warranty which is pretty much bumper to bumper to 100k.. I figured it would pay for itself on the front suspension stuff around 75k (47k on it now), but was reading into the warranty and it states that all scheduled maintenance must be performed by a certified mechanic..

I bought this truck with the intention of changing my own oil, and performing most service stuff myself.. I got the warranty in case of water pump issues or a drivetrain malfunction that could be thousands to fix..

My question is, does anybody have experience in cashing in on these warranties if you are doing you own maintenance? I don't want to be at the shop with a snapped timing chain and find out that they will not honor it because I changed my own oil..

I have 10 days to refund the warranty.. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, I'm glad to be here. Been wanting for one of these for a long time, and my ship finally came in..:biggrin:

Mike
How much did you pay for the Extended warranty? I'm looking into buy a 2012 hse lux as well, if you don't mind disclosing it? thanks!

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be surprised if your extended warranty covered control arm bushings, as they are a wear item. Just like brakes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV