New tire reccomendations 2013 LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devnic

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm very new to all of this and I'm looking to replace the crap stock tires on my LR4 HSE LUX. I mostly do city/highway driving and am looking for a great all weather tire that can go off road if need be. The stock tires (continental) are needing to be replaced after 24,000 miles so I would like to get something that will last longer. I've been looking around and have found the Pirelli Scorpion verde and the Michelin Latitude diamaris. The Michelin tires are more expensive and don't have as great of a warranty. I just want to be sure I'm getting the best tires I can for the money. This is my everyday vehicle and I want something that will last. Most of the reviews are for lighter SUVs so I wanted to get opinions from everyone that drives these heavier vehicles. I'm open to recommendations! Size is 255/55R19 111V
Thank you in advance!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of the classic and obligatory discussion topics on any forum that caters to vehicles that run on tires. Suggestion: crack a cold beer or two and settle in with the search feature. Probably the only consensus you will find will be agreement that for many, the stock Conti's are passable at best.

As long as I'm responding I will give you my experiences. My driving patterns seem to be similar to yours. After the Conti's wore out I went with Bridgestone Dueller Alenzas and they were fine. Nothing remarkable but fine. I am now running Nokian WRG3 all-weather tires and they were really great in the snow we had here in the DC area in late January. I plan to keep them on year-round. I got what I considered to be a good deal and good customer service when I ordered them online, then had them installed by my indy LR shop. Good luck.

Devnic

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I tried searching and a lot of the topics I found some were beyond my comprehension with information. Granted, I didn't spend a lot of time or look really diligently. The search also brought up a lot of unrelated topics. So thanks for making it easier for me, I really appreciate it!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I tried searching and a lot of the topics I found some were beyond my comprehension with information. Granted, I didn't spend a lot of time or look really diligently. The search also brought up a lot of unrelated topics. So thanks for making it easier for me, I really appreciate it!

I hear you. I have owned my '11 LR4 for 2 yrs now and there still seems to be a steady stream of new (or at least, new to me) tire information discussed on this forum.

I read a lot of positive reviews on the Nokians I mentioned, and also got some strong recommendations from forum members who have them. I have taken them on fairly tame timber trails but nothing that would qualify as wheeling by the serious off-roaders in this group. Most of the miles I put on them will be highway miles because I love taking the Landy on road trips. But if I see an interesting dirt path that meanders off the beaten path along the way, I won't hesitate to explore it on these tires. If you live in a climate that has 4 seasons, you should give these tires a good look.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have the Michelin Diamaris in 20.
Fantastic road tire, quiet and lots of grip. Probably won't last very long. However I would not attempt to take these off-road, even for light off-road duty.
I had the Continentals in 19, as much as I wanted to hate them like everybody else they held up pretty well in some pretty tough off-road conditions, did almost great during the 2.5 days ice and snow storm my wife and I drove through a few weeks ago, however these same tires that handle snow and ice well between 35 and 70mph will try to **** you at city speed. No idea why.
If I were to buy tires I would look into the Michelin Premier LTX.

As a side note, the DuraTrac are quiet enough until 35,000 miles or so after that they make you wish you never had bought them (probably shouldn't have driven them many miles way above their speed rating...). They are so noisy they make you wanna change them as soon as possible. Been driving on street tires for the last month (roughly 5,500 miles) and I love how quiet things are.

jim6090

Reaction score
Toyo Proxes ST II Just the best tires I have found for great on road durability and drivability. Worked fine on offload reasonable trails. Will buy nothing but these tires from now on for our LR4. Our local LR dealership recommends them. Our 2012 had a new set as CPO with 30K miles. Now over 60K miles and good bit of tread left.

mikem

Reaction score
Bought my LR4 used and it came with the Continentals which worked out fine for most of my day to day driving and off road adventures in the area. Like others on the forum, my main issue with them was driving in certain snowy conditions and ice. That said, I did have a similar positive off-road experience with the Conti's as AxelR.

I switched to the Nokian WRG3. Love them. Like cperez, I plan on using them year round.

Currently live in Seattle. Great traction during this past winter/rainy season. Comfortable ride. Great handling in snow (over some of the local passes and driving up and down the roads on Mount Rainier). Handle's well on ice and the truck is beast when coupled w/ snow chains. I've driving them on forest roads and done some light off roading (not rock crawling) in the area as well. Hope this helps and good luck on your search.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, a shot of my Nokian WRG3's during a run up a snowy mountain trail in West Virginia about a month ago. After I shared this on Instagram, @NokianTyresNA asked if they could use it on their social media channels. Not sure if they ever did, but that was kinda cool.

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 82

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV