No idea what happened

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
Yesterday I was driving around, the low coolant light came on, then went away immediately. As I was pulling into a parking it said the engine was overheating, then the warning went away. I parked the truck, ran inside and grabbed something real quick (30 seconds max), came back out and there was light smoke coming the engine. After popping the hood I saw a nice spot on coolant all over the ground, and everything between the radiator and engine is covered in coolant. I don't have any pics of this as I left the truck over night because I had other pressing matters to tend to.

Anyone have anything similar happen to them?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes your water pump or your cross over pipe has **** the bed. Hopefully your engine did not get too hot and turn into a $12000 paperweight

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
Outfuckingstanding. I got to run again, added coolant, and drove it like 2 miles to my house where it's currently sitting

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outfuckingstanding. I got to run again, added coolant, and drove it like 2 miles to my house where it's currently sitting

Do NOT drive it anywhere. Get it flat bed towed to the mechanic and assess the coolant crossover pipes and water pump. I think the guys above are likely right.

I literally replaced mine today for $1400 PRE-EMPTIVELY because they are a known weakness in this engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do NOT drive it anywhere. Get it flat bed towed to the mechanic and assess the coolant crossover pipes and water pump. I think the guys above are likely right.

I literally replaced mine today for $1400 PRE-EMPTIVELY because they are a known weakness in this engine.

Holy $hit. Was that a dealer?

Crossover is 60ish bucks, and waterpump a couple hundred. Was there other stuff done as well, I hope?

To the OP, it is well within reach to do this in your garage for 400.00 or less if you have the time to do it.

Last edited:

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy $hit. Was that a dealer? Crossover is 60ish bucks, and waterpump a couple hundred. Was there other stuff done as well, I hope? To the OP, it is well within reach to do this in your garage door 400.00 or less if you have the time to do it.

CORRECTED/EDITED:

Mine was $430 in parts and $850 in labor and $36 tax with a total of $1322 at a trusted independent shop. My guess is it would be more like $2K at a dealership.

Parts: front coolant pipe, coolant hose under intake intake seals, rear coolant pipe, coolant.

I was so sick of reading about failed crossovers that I figured better to replace it before heading off into the deserts and mountains for 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have time to do it myself. Working 630 am to 11 in weekdays, and working weekends

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have time to do it myself. Working 630 am to 11 in weekdays, and working weekends

Me either. I edited and updated my notes above with more info on my fix. Those are San Francisco prices. Your pricing in your market may vary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
Me either. I edited and updated my notes above with more info on my fix. Those are San Francisco prices. Your pricing in your market may vary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How long did it take? This is my only vehicle

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA