No Sound From Radio/Nav/Bluetooth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xcdiesel

Reaction score
Hi all:

I've spent countless hours troubleshooting this issue and scouring the web and nothing seems to work. I'm hoping for some feedback here.

A few weeks ago the radio quit working in my LR3. There was no sound for a number of days. After about a week the sound came back on and worked for about 3 days. The radio head unit and nav work fine. I can change the channels and input, however there is no sound. No volume icon displays when I attempt to change the volume. Same thing with the NAV. I can input destinations and it will map to them, just no sound. Same thing with bluetooth. It will connect and receive calls, just no sound.

Here's what I've done to this point:

2006 LR3 Sport

Pulled and checked the following fuses both visually and with a fuse checker. All the fuses were fine and in good working order:

Fuse 42: Audio Amplifier
Fuse 43: Radio Frequency Receiver
Fuse 53: Multi-media module, audio unit, DVD player, Video Display
Fuse 58: Telephone, touch screen display, multimedia module

Did a soft system reset by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 30 minutes. I did this twice - no change in problem.

Did a hard system reset by disconnecting the negative battery terminal, then positive terminal, and connecting the two together for 5 minutes - no change in problem.

Took out the head unit and nav unit to check for loose connections. Disconnected all the wiring and reconnected - no change. There is only one light coming from the back of the fiber optics on the head unit. I've attached a pic, I'm not sure if both are supposed to be lit up or not?

Inspected the amp under the passenger seat. No loose connections. Disconnected the wiring and reconnected- no change. There is only one light coming from the amp wiring. Again, not sure if both are supposed to be lit or not?

Any suggestions? Are there any fuses I've missed? I know on some searches I've done apparently RR have an amp fuse? but I didn't see any other fuses behind the radio head unit, nav unit, or the amp.

I don't know what else to do. Pics are attached of the fiber optics lights. The head unit pic is upside down, so the side that lit up is the passenger side.

Attachments

• Headunit.jpg
    Headunit.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 180
  • amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 240

Rubber Cow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine just quit today.....I was only in the car for 45 minutes....can't wait to hear any more suggestions.

Xcdiesel

Reaction score
Surely someone has heard of or seen this issue! C'mon, need some help

Rubber Cow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is back online.....leaving me feeling vulnerable and awaiting an upcoming maintenance wallup.

NewRover2008

Reaction score
I had same problem with my sound. I disconnected the battery cables for 5-10 minutes. touched them together as well. everything worked fine after that.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it is the amp?

You seem to have checked everything that I would have looked at, hence I am puzzled.

I assume you have looked thru the various files I have in my gallery re the link below for wiring diagrams and the like.

There is a shop in California that does repair the HK amps but before you send it off, you have to know it is the problem. The amp does suffer from internal broken solder joints so the fix is not too difficult once you know what to look for.

About the only other thing you could do is get one of those fibre optic loops that jumps a MOST connector to bypass say the Bluetooth or Display, but it sounds like the Voice Recognition Module and Display units powered and OK.

Jumping the amplifier will definitely mean no sound so that would not a very effective trouble shooting technique.

http://www.bit.ly/1naq2yE

Rubber Cow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that when I use the iPhone voice to txt mode that it occasionally snags and hangs the entire system up. I turn off the Bluetooth on the phone and hit the red steering wheel mounted "hang up" button, reconnect the phone via Bluetooth and all returns to "normal".
It's very annoying....I blame Apple.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radio no sound

Same issue here, it did it a couple times 2 years ago and has not come back since. I disconnected the battery and it popped back on for no real reason. Ghosts in the electronics. FYI it maybe a water leak issue, LRs are notorious for leaking water behind the dash from anything from plugged sun roof tubes to and issue with the A pillar that allows water to get in.

Trekker

Reaction score
I had a very similar issue with my 2011 LR4 HSE. The NAV screen worked, but I couldn't select anything else (audio, phone, ...) and there was no audio. Took it into the dealership because they recently upgraded the OS for the display screen. Turns out that I needed a software patch. They applied the patch, rebooted the system and I haven't had the problem since. No charge at the LR dealership.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to add to the info base on this, I had an audio issue in my 2011 LR4 HSE today.

Started it up to run an errand and got no sound from any of the sources: AM/FM/USB/BT. If I jacked up the volume I could hear faint speaker hiss. The only time the radio would come on was when I would tap the navi speaker icon. The voice prompt for navi directions would speak and I could hear radio on the background, but it would play only until the navi voice was finished.

I tried starting and stopping the engine several times, and also just turning systems on/off (no ignition) but to no avail. I did not disconnect/reconnect the battery. I got home, let it sit for about 20 minutes and began searching this forum for insights.

Just as I read this thread, I decided to try it again and now all is working perfectly with no further intervention.

I have about 6K miles remaining on warranty and will be keeping an eye on this!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi