No sound from radio or sound system after sunroof leak into passenger footwell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dr si

Reaction score
Dear All

I know this is a known fault and usually due to an earth splice in the passenger footwell wiring harness.

However can anyone tell me or show me on pic or video exactly where this splice is and what colour the wires are so that I can repair it without ripping the whole car apart???

My Disco is 05 D6 HSE, without the amp under the passenger seat. I have checked the rest of the optical and media system and all is functional. So I assume it is either the splice corroded in the harness or the system needs software upgrade after short outs.

I hope someone has the info on the appropriate wires as I have have tried for about 1 year to find out this info without luck.

Cheers to all and beat the virus

Simon A

Nelz99

Reaction score
I just noticed water on the passenger floor mat the other morning after a storm too... where does the sunroof leak?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sunroof drains, windshield cowling, A-pillar. Those are the water ingress culprits.

dr si

Reaction score
Theres several good Youtube walk thru fix video to repair the drain , best one uses kids marker body to repair cheap and effective

just type in ' repair disco 3 sunroof drain'

Simon A

pceresia

Reaction score
Is there a chance that water could have gotten into the fuse box in the front passenger glove box area. Check our fuses F52 and 53 as well as F57 & 58. You'll need a flashlight and a lot of flexibility

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear All

I know this is a known fault and usually due to an earth splice in the passenger footwell wiring harness.

However can anyone tell me or show me on pic or video exactly where this splice is and what colour the wires are so that I can repair it without ripping the whole car apart???

My Disco is 05 D6 HSE, without the amp under the passenger seat. I have checked the rest of the optical and media system and all is functional. So I assume it is either the splice corroded in the harness or the system needs software upgrade after short outs.

I hope someone has the info on the appropriate wires as I have have tried for about 1 year to find out this info without luck.

Simon A
I think your post got lost, so again, if I understand the question, your audio system does not make any noise and you think it has something to do with a ground?

Exactly what Land Rover do you have? It sounds like a 2005 Discovery ?? HSE but without the upscale Harmon Kardon audio system that has the under the passenger seat located amplifier that is fed via the fibre optic system?

Do you have a Bluetooth system and does it still work?

I often have silence in my audio system after such as a battery changeout but the Bluetooth still works and speaks etc so I know the radio unit is still powered; also the digital window still illuminates. Does the window on yours still light up?

My fix is what I call a hard reset per below. It costs nothing other than time; wrecks nothing and sometimes fixes the sound system.

Hard Reset Instructions

In brief, to start the hard-reset process, open the hood but close all doors and let your 3 go to sleep - no radio display etc and no key in the ignition. This will take a couple of minutes and do not open any doors until the reset is completed. (I find that it is often a good idea to have the driver’s door window rolled down and the key in one’s pocket whenever fooling about the vehicle.)

Also, when I play with a car battery, I remove any rings I have from my fingers, also my watch. Have the car keys in your pocket.

Disconnect the ground battery terminal from the main starting battery.
Disconnect the positive battery terminal from the main starting battery.

The reason for this order is if a wrench or loose battery cable ends grounds to the body, no arcing or other bad things happen.

(I assume that you only have one battery in your 3. If not, disconnect the others as well and leave them disconnected until after all is done.) I have the Traxide dual battery system installed.

Connect the negative cable end to the positive cable end. (NOT to the battery.) To do this, you will need a short length, (a foot or so), of light gauge, (14 to 18 gauge AWG, insulated stranded copper), wire to span between the battery cable ends as there is not enough slack in the positive and negative battery cables for the ends to be able to touch each other.

Hold all together for about a minute or more, (suggest at least two minutes), as you are discharging memory modules within the engine computer and elsewhere. Then it is suggested you then just let all sit disconnected for say ten minutes, (minimum five minutes), prior to commencing to put the battery cable ends back on the battery posts per the following order.

Reattach positive terminal to the main starting battery positive post.

Reattach negative terminal to the main starting battery negative post.

Start engine and hopefully none or at least fewer warning lights and the radio when turned on plays music rather than being silent.
Reset time on the radio - note that the station presets are still there as not everything is erased. Nothing much else needs resetting either.

You can also now connect up the other batteries if you have a multiple battery setup.

This is a link to a thread in disco3 re the hard reset procedure. http://bit.ly/14WXXR1

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic19547.html

This is a link to a thread on Disco3Club re the hard reset procedure.

http://www.disco3club.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3374

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same bizarre silent radio issue, which occurred a few times...pulled the head unit fuse, let it sit and it magically came back to life. Has not occurred for a few years. 2006 LR3 (owned 14 years). The water ingress issues should have been a recall, massive issues with water damaging wire connections.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how the new Defender is with regards to the vehicle systems shutting it down, (no go), as a result of a computer issue?

I watched a near 30 minute LR promo video which sort of referenced that towing scene plus there was a comment re making the systems more fault tolerant. I hope that is so.

I took the comment to mean that somewhere in the LR design group, there was an awareness that "no go" concerns for an owner should perhaps prevail over LR lawsuit concerns. That as owners, we should have to tolerate that sort of self interest!

There was only a glimpse of one stuck Defender - mud does slow them down but not something one dwells on in polite company. Maybe there is a market for vehicles that emulate a mountain goat; myself, I just want to get home, day after day, sort of routine like, when the route is something less than a gentle winding paved no traffic two lane road in perfect weather.

What surprised me was how well maintained the back roads were that they were driving on.

This is the video link.

https://jalopnik.com/this-land-rover-defender-in-africa-video-is-jaw-droppin-1842500951

Last edited:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to view what I think is a really enjoyable Defender video, below is a Dropbox link to about a twenty minute video filmed in the Libyan desert in 2007.

The video was done as an advertising promo by a French expedition outfit to promote desert tours for 2008.

Link to the French LR dealer, still in business.

https://www.jfcnormandie.com/land-rover/voiture-neuve-land-rover

The future expeditions never happened but the video is very real.

Watch it on a big screen computer with a good sound system - the music is haunting and the track is where you make it.

The white Toyota's are the Minders vehicles. Watch for the glimpse of the abandoned tank and the stripped Panjero. At about 20 minutes there is a series of still photos; the couple of Toyota's strung out in the sand was particularly striking.

The link should open without any passwords.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/00ddxe3375kfatk/Libye_Progressive_Scan_from_DV_PS.mpg?dl=0

Last edited:

Ian Morrison

Biffo 69
Reaction score
Dear All

Simon A
If you look down to the right bottom of the passenger footwell you will see a black plastic panel covering all the wires your looking for. It’s right next to the door seal trim and the plastic cover that covers the length of the door opening which runs to the rear passenger door opening. This panel also covers wires up spanning to back of car. The piece your after is at the bottom of the A Post. If you pull it off you will see around 5 clumps of earth wires all attached under small nuts. If you undo each of these nuts I found small amounts of rust forming under the wire contacts.i removed the rust. Reattached them and sprayed lacquer and my problems now gone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut