Noise Hunting - after turning off engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beltwaybandit

Reaction score
I have a 2007 LR3 (102K).

About 3 seconds after I turn off the engine I hear a metallic hammer/tap (think wrench against the frame). I have a clean indicator pannel/dash lights - nothing seems wrong. No issues when driving/starting etc.

When the LR3 shuts down is there some spring loaded clutch pack or vacuum that is released that could cause this?

Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
BWB

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a locking rear differential? If so, it's the differential motor. Mine was more of a "chirping" noise after I turned off the ignition.

The dealer said that when this motor completely fails, it can lock-up, damaging the differential. By catching this earlier, no damage was done to the differential.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting I have never heard this one..

beltwaybandit

Reaction score
No Locking differential

No, I have a HSE with just the computer controlling the differentials.

I've attached the sound. You hear the purring of the engine, then I switch it off and remove the key so the dinging stops. Then two clicks/clunks.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 2007 LR3 HSE Shutdown Sound.zip
    65.3 KB · Views: 287

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh my woow I can hear it strong and clear but have no idea of what may be...
hmmm let's see what the experts on this forum suggest

redbadge

Reaction score
I would drive it on to a ramp and let somebody crawl under the truck see if s/he can find where the sound is coming from

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It normally is the solenoid on the transfer case.

Can be sorted out by calibrating the transfer case with IID tool that supports it. like autologic machine.

It realy takes a couple of minutes,,,if it doesn’t sort out the problem the solenoid ie: e-diff motor should be changed.

I have plenty of those on hand.

Last edited:

qdan2002

Reaction score
2005 lr3 makes the same exact noise when turning off engine after the clicks! Any resolution on the bang after clicks!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV