Non functioning rear camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adrian Thompson

Reaction score
Hi, I'm one of many looking to buy an LR4, specifically a 2013 as everything I've read tells me they are the best year for the V8.

I've seen and driver five so far and missed out on a good one trying to play too hardball with a dealer on price. Oh well.

Anyway, I've found what I think is a bit of a diamond in the rough. It's got approx 90k miles on the clock, good records with no history of faults. The only issues I can find are a dented back bumper, easy fix, and a nonfunctioning backup camera. I've seen various threads about camera issues, but they seem to resolve around filters, reversed images, blocks etc. This isn't any of those. I can see the camera is present, but when you select reverse the camera doesn't' come on, no fault, no error message or warning, the screen just stays the same as if there is no camera present. IS this a common or known issue? Is the fix known, hard, expensive? I really want it fixed as I plan on doing a fair amount of towing, and hitching up a trailer on your own is about a million times easier with a functioning camera.

Thanks in advance.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how you'd be able to do this test driving it, but any time I've had some electronic-type error like this, I fixed it by disconnecting the battery for about 30 seconds, then reconnecting it.

If the rear bumper is dented, though, any chance the rear upper and/or lower tailgate was damaged too, and they replaced those but didn't fix the bumper?

Adrian Thompson

Reaction score
I honestly don't know. After I saw the vehicle I got the Carfax, there was a minor rear end accident reported in 17 and it went to a shop after that so I assume it's a more recent dent. The tailgate and glass panel look good though. HEre's a pic of the rear bumper dent.
4j3eb1XCRF7uCY7Q7

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the rear parking sensors work?

there is an interconnection in the wiring between the parking sensors and the camera. I know this because when I had mine disabled when I originally installed my steel rear bumper, the camera did not work.

The shop had to plug it back into their computer and we do something to bring the camera back online.

Interestingly, when I disabled them with The Gap tool this did not occur.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the rear parking sensors work?

there is an interconnection in the wiring between the parking sensors and the camera. I know this because when I had mine disabled when I originally installed my steel rear bumper, the camera did not work.

The shop had to plug it back into their computer and we do something to bring the camera back online.

Interestingly, when I disabled them with The Gap tool this did not occur.

^This. If a parking sensor fails it will also cause the rear camera to go out. I have had a parking sensor fail and experienced this. Then I had the opposite and the rear camera died and needed to be replaced. And now I get the "rear camera unavailable" message whenever it rains so I can only guess that another parking sensor is shorting out.

Adrian Thompson

Reaction score
Assuming it is a parking sensor issue, can anyone shed light on the fix. Is it DIYable or would I need to take it to a dealer? Note, my DIY skills are above average, I haven't paid anyone to work on my cars in 25 years. There's almost nothing I can't do or attempt once diagnosed.

Thanks.

Mdurwin

Reaction score
Assuming it is a parking sensor issue, can anyone shed light on the fix. Is it DIYable or would I need to take it to a dealer? Note, my DIY skills are above average, I haven't paid anyone to work on my cars in 25 years. There's almost nothing I can't do or attempt once diagnosed.

Thanks.
Parking sensor?! Camera out?!!
Now I wonder if I ha e a camera but it’s just not working. 2013 LR4 here. I’ve had window frame pieces fall off, wiper screws strip, leaking transmission hoses, got a flat and had to replace all 4 tires because last owner put on 19s, control arms a bearings shot, and of course “no camera available, see dealer. I think I’ve fixed everything at this point!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72