Non OEM oil options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iron oak

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been addressed before but I couldn't find any solid info.

So here it goes.. What options if any, do I have for an applicable oil for my LR4? Amsoil or Royal Purple? I can't seem to find an oil by Amsoil that meets this illusive oil spec that is deemed appropriate for the Land Rover/Jaguar V8. It seems like a ploy between both Land Rover and Castrol to make you have to go to the dealership and pay exubuarant prices for an oil change.

$280.00 for an oil change is ridiculous for an engine and oil capacity of this nature. I've had oil changes on many Porsches for less. And at the dealership for that matter.

It's hard to swallow, especially when I used to be in the business.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using 5W-20 Mobil 1 (either regular or Extended Performance, in either 1-quart or 5-quart jugs, whatever is on sale / cheaper at my local Wally World... Costco is a crapshoot, sometimes they stock Mobil 1, sometimes they don't), and doing my own oil changes every 7500 miles instead of the 15K miles recommended by Land Rover. I am 99.9999% sure my engine will never develop any issues due to not using the overpriced Castrol oil that Land Rover pushes like crack on its customers.

Besides, Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20 is "suitable for use in applications demanding Ford spec WSS-M2C925-A", so even if I was still under warranty - and I am long past that anyway - it would be awfully hard for Land Rover to deny me a warranty claim because I was using the "wrong" oil.

I have also heard some Jag / Land Rover dealers are starting to sell this Castrol EDGE Professional oil at more reasonable prices, around $10/11 bottle versus $15 or more of a year or two ago... Still about 40% overpriced IMHO, but not that big of a deal in the grand scope of things (Mobil 1 EP can be had for $6 per quart if you shop around a bit.) Oil changes are easy in these cars anyway once you buy a vacuum pump and some basic tools.

PS: My local Land Rover dealer in Pasadena, CA, continues to insist the oil for these engines is not for sale to the general public - regardless of price - and the only way to get a proper oil change is to bring your Land Rover to them (along with plenty of Vaseline, I am sure.) I always laugh out loud when I walk away from their counter. I am confident that, eventually, they will figure out how to get their head out of their own a**.

Last edited:

Iron oak

Reaction score
Thanks for the input fellas. I'm actually a fan of Castrol normally but they have a racket going on. I'll be looking into this Mobil 1 EP.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here...Mobil 1 5W-20 every 7500 miles. OEM oil filters from Atlantic British. And the Mityvac works great...fastest, neatest oil change ever.

(Especially compared to the LR3 oil change that involves ramps, removing the skid plates and catching 8 quarts of oil in a big bucket)

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only way to get a proper oil change is to bring your Land Rover to them (along with plenty of Vaseline, I am sure.)...I am confident that, eventually, they will figure out how to get their head out of their own a**.

Maybe you can loan them a dab of that Vaseline. :reddy:

I used a Mahle filter (OX 774D) purchased from a reliable source for my last oil change. Given that OEM is now made in China, what are the group's thoughts on that? Penny wise and pound foolish or is it just a private label tossup? For all I know the Mahle is also made in China; I can't recall.

My reasoning was that Mahle is a respected manufacturer and that in combo with my more frequent oil services it was a reasonable decision. Interested in other opinions.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Land Rover filter is a Mahle OX 774D cartridge stamped with Land Rover's logo and shipped in a Land Rover cardboard box. They are all made in China... You can get the Mahle on Amazon, with Prime + Subscribe & Save it comes to $23, delivered - I have mine scheduled to ship automatically every 3 months so I don't even think about it anymore.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your drinking the cool-aid that todays engines needs synthetic, hello "Marketing-advertising". I just had mine changed last week for less than $70, your being bent over. There are 8 quarts of oil in this thing, what breaks down oil is gasoline and all the additives along with heat... it seeps past the piston rings, 8 quarts is what gives it the longer life, synthetic, longer but not needed. Change it at 7500 miles and you will be just fine, I have 120K on mine.

horns

Reaction score
This reminds me of when I had to go shopping for anti-freeze. Same story.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick