OE rear locker: Why can't you add it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upon searching every possible LR3 thread about this subject, I cannot understand why you could not add this to a non-locker truck. Here's why:

1. The wiring loom. Folks mentioned that you cannot add it because the wiring is different. Ok, I buy the that. However, why couldn't you simply add the wiring you need with a custom harness and section of wire that is needed?

2. Terrain response computer - Upon adding the wired element, would you not simply need a reflash from a dealer?

3. Mechanicals - the easy part, IMO. Simply drop the open diff and replace with the locking rear diff containing the solenoid.

Land Rover Mechs, what say you? I am not seeing this to be an impossibility. Simply a little time consuming. Given that I have access to a shop with lifts, etc...I may want to try this.

Bigs

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An d the most important reason is most likely, you have an open diff in your t/case and as such, can't drive a locker, that is if Rover built your vehicle like the D1's and 2"s.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An d the most important reason is most likely, you have an open diff in your t/case and as such, can't drive a locker, that is if Rover built your vehicle like the D1's and 2"s.

If the center diff is the locker (based on the electronics on the Terrain Response System) on the standard vehicles, why can't it run the e-locker? I have not seen any documentation to suggest that the T-case is different in the LR3's with the heavy duty package. The only difference shown are the rear diff's.

Bigs

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mike, all LR3's come with a locking center differential in the transfer case. The only available locker option is a variable e-locker in the rear.

You cannot upgrade the unit without completely rewiring the vehicle, replacing the transmission control unit, engine control unit, terrain response control unit, and probably 50 other things.

You can however, add the e-locker to the rear diff and install an on/off switch in the cabin.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, all LR3's come with a locking center differential in the transfer case. The only available locker option is a variable e-locker in the rear.

You cannot upgrade the unit without completely rewiring the vehicle, replacing the transmission control unit, engine control unit, terrain response control unit, and probably 50 other things.

You can however, add the e-locker to the rear diff and install an on/off switch in the cabin.

Thanks for the input Nathan. Your posts essentially helped me to choose the LR3. Finding a heavy-duty packaged truck proved to be a challenge. Is there any further information regarding KAM or ARB lockers? Some have speculated that these groups are working on solutions. However, I have yet to find actual information confirming this.

Do you know anything?

Bigs

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some acquaintances with ARB USA and they said that other than the bumper, snorkel and coil springs (for the springer LR3 like mine), they have no other platform specific products planned or in development.

To be honest, with the world's best traction control system, the rear locker simply isn't necessary.

Trynian

Reaction score
To be honest, with the world's best traction control system, the rear locker simply isn't necessary.

I agree, my friend and I have done some of the toughest trails in Southern Cal both with 06 LR3s. He has the rear locker and I don't and there has yet to be anything he made it through that I could not.

The rear is locker is nice and he does get slightly less rear wheel spin then mine, but it has yet to make the difference in getting through.

I did see a rear new LR3 diff on ebay recently with the locker for $800, but it sold really fast. Maybe one day I will tinker with it and see about manually hooking one up.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Based on the terrain in the area I am, I doubt a rear locker will add that much more than what I presently have or need for that matter.

I really like my rig. Being the same proportions as Nathan (6'7" and 260#), I really like the available room inside. Can't wait to take the family out in the spring.

Bigs

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Based on the terrain in the area I am, I doubt a rear locker will add that much more than what I presently have or need for that matter.

I really like my rig. Being the same proportions as Nathan (6'7" and 260#), I really like the available room inside. Can't wait to take the family out in the spring.

Bigs

Hello fellow large person! Let me know if you want a set of seat rail extenders. I installed them on both front seats (my wife is 6'-1"), and it made a big improvement in interior comfort for me
http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=13

SeatRail-01-800.gif

brickpaul65

Reaction score

I realize this is an old topic. Have you seen anyone install the e-locker and just an on off switch? Is it a complete diff swap or just the solenoid?

Also,

Has anyone else seen this item yet?

http://www.devon4x4.com/pedantry-mi...ategory_id=45&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=14

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV