Off Road Recovery Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since a winch is not yet in the budget, but I want to make sure I am equipped for when the tools of the LR4 are just not enough.

I am looking for opinions on the following gear and IF it's not acceptable do you have another option for the same task.

Self Recovery, Manual Winch
Hi-lift 60" - All Cast model, or X-Treme. With only a 7000lb rating I am wondering if it will be enough also there are other brands, but is this a useless point?

Recovery Straps
While it's easy to throw money at this topic and buy the ARB, or Pro comp are they really worth. is most situation you get what pay for comes to mind.
However what do you really need? 2", 3" 20Klb 30Klb?
Other less expensive models come to mind
Rigged Ridge for one

Shackles
How big do I need? 4ton or higher, or will a smaller shackle be enough?

Any and all help is appreciated as I seek to find more challenging trails this summer.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not use the hi-lift for manual recovery unless you absolutely have to, and by absolutely, I mean you walked to town and back.

With that said, Get some chain if you really think you are going to use the hi lift for recovery. The problem with using straps is they stretch. And by the time you compensate for the stretch of the strap, you are left with little to no length of hi lift to work with. I personally would never use a hi lift for this. I consider them just too dangerous.

Consider some traction mats. Along with a shovel, they work awesome and are less lethal, require less time to setup and pound for pound, give your better recovery.

For straps, I'm a fan of the viking stuff, the ARB is great too. I haven't seen the others but if equally rated and no horrendous horror stories can be googled, why not. For shackles, go 4 ton. You don't want the shackle to be the weak link.

You will get a bunch of opinions and I don't suggest mine are worth the price (free). Spend the $$ and attend a class put on by Bruce Elfstrom or Bill Burke in recovery. You will learn an immense amount, put it to practice and you will get what you pay for.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with NASdiesel, get traction mats. Most of my offroading is in sand on a beach. I carry a shovel and a pair of the Maxtrax mats. They are more expensive than some of the other mats from China on Amazon. But if you read the reviews of both, Maxtrax are a superior product. Carry 4 if going into more extreme mud conditions. Here is their website:

http://www.maxtraxamerica.com

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a rugged ridge strap. Used it in snow conditions. Its just fine and plenty strong. ARB is way over priced and its the same thing.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with NASdiesel, get traction mats. Most of my offroading is in sand on a beach. I carry a shovel and a pair of the Maxtrax mats. They are more expensive than some of the other mats from China on Amazon. But if you read the reviews of both, Maxtrax are a superior product. Carry 4 if going into more extreme mud conditions. Here is their website:

http://www.maxtraxamerica.com

I agree, get 4. Seems pricey, but they are worth more than a winch in a number of recovery situations. And you want one for each wheel.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a set of Maxtrax today. (See the Show Off Your LR4 thread to see why.) I also picked up a Hi Lift (48") just for emergencies as I destroyed my scissor jack (see above). I have a couple of straps, a tree save and chain. I hope to never need the Hi Lift for extraction. But I really don't want to go the winch route. If you do decide to go with a Hi Lift be sure to view some of the safety videos online. They can be very dangerous.

Though I had a shovel it was the small, folding "army" style. In the future I will carry something more substantial.

Gloves, gloves, gloves.

bullmrkt

Reaction score
I had the same question and just came across this kit from ARB. Seems like a good idea to have in the truck in case I need to help a family member or coworker out of a jam (snow). I'm a construction project manager, and people get stuck in the mud sometimes too. Throw a pair of gloves in this kit, add some traction mats, and you should be good to go for most situations.

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Essentials-Recovery-Kit-RK11-P22846.aspx

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick