Oil and filter change (vacuum method) - Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This afternoon I changed oil on my 2013 LR4 with 23K miles. While my first oil change was done at an indy shop at 7500 miles and the second was the 15K mile "freebie" at the dealer, I have decided to perform my own oil changes every 7500 miles from now on, especially after experiencing first hand how spectacularly quick, easy and mess-free the vacuum method of extracting oil really is compared to the old fashioned oil pan drain (which would be extra difficult for me now that I have installed a skid plate under the front end.)

I had nothing better to do without wife and kids at home for the afternoon, so I thought I'd document the oil change on video (although the procedure has already been covered at lengths by other owners with plenty of photos and step-by-step instructions on this and other forums.)

Oil and Filter Change - 2013 Land Rover LR4 - YouTube

Couple of important things I neglected to mention in the video:

1) If your engine is cold, you should run it at idle for at least 10 minutes, then turn it off and let it rest for another 10-15 to allow the warmed oil to collect in the drain pan prior to vacuuming it out.
2) Always do this on a flat, level surface.
3) Before reading the fresh oil level with the instrument cluster gauge, give it about 5 minutes to allow for all the oil you poured in to settle on the bottom, you'll get a more accurate read.

Warning: This ain't Scorsese... :biggrin: Although the accent of the "actor" with the receding hairline in the video could easily belong in a Scorsese movie. :wink: On the plus side, it's only 12 minutes. Hope some of you find it useful. It really took me longer to explain what I was doing than to actually doing it. 20-30 minutes of easy work, no more backaches, dust in my hair and spilled oil on the garage floor. The vacuum method is a no brainer.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Umberto!

This was awesome - so helpful! I just reached 3,000 miles this weekend, so I am a little bit away from my first oil change, but I was thinking of every 5,000 - 7,500 miles, so great to know I can go with 7,500.

I bookmarked this video and details so I can get the supplies and do my own oil changes in between the big services. Thanks again.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer, I can't see the video for some reason, is it a Youtube?

The suction oil changes on these motors really are the cleanest, easiest oil changes ever...

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can play it from the link you just posted, but not from the embedded link. I just updated my flash software this morning, but still no luck.

I just watched it... great video!

I have one point. If you are like me and don't empty your Mityvac right away, make sure to secure the hose in an upright position. I had mine slip out of the little securing channel and ended up with a small Exxon Valdez on the garage floor. I can assure you that only happened once...! :)

Last edited:

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know they made dedicated oil recycle jugs. I used a blue 5 gal. kerosene jug for a while, but got frustrated not being able to see how much oil was in it. I then switched to a yellow 5 gal. diesel jug, which alows a good visual indication of quantity. I have a local Mom and Pop gas station in town that has a furnace that burns old oil, so disposal is easy.

Last edited:

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the post. You've inspired me to buy the mityvac and do it myself.

Anyone see any DIY diff's and transfer case service videos?

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. The video really helps. I have a Mityvac as well, and it is a breeze!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72