Oil catch can needed on a SCV6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t think this has been addressed recently about the scv6 so I thought I would bring it up. I don’t think the engine has port injectors, right? So does anyone have any experience with the scv6 with regard to intake valve coking ? Ever taken a look with a scope? thoughts on catch can install? Or does the built in separator system do enough?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right. It's direct injection. How much oil residue did you notice when you removed the s/c snout? It's probably safe to say that is the same amount vaporizing on the valves.

If it seemed excessive to you, the catch can may be a decent idea if you can install post-pcv. Everything should function the same, oil would just get separated prior to the air being dumped back into the throttle body.

I do not remember how much the pcv to throttle body hose was (~15?) But I remember it being decently hard plastic. If you were to tap into it, that would be best. But, I'm not sure how you would create a union. Since, I do not believe you can force a barbed vacuum fitting in there and have a good seal. Maybe some ultra black or other RTV product?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right. It's direct injection. How much oil residue did you notice when you removed the s/c snout? It's probably safe to say that is the same amount vaporizing on the valves.

If it seemed excessive to you, the catch can may be a decent idea if you can install post-pcv. Everything should function the same, oil would just get separated prior to the air being dumped back into the throttle body.

I do not remember how much the pcv to throttle body hose was (~15?) But I remember it being decently hard plastic. If you were to tap into it, that would be best. But, I'm not sure how you would create a union. Since, I do not believe you can force a barbed vacuum fitting in there and have a good seal. Maybe some ultra black or other RTV product?
Well there was some sludge but i can't tell if that was the IMG_1443.jpeg IMG_1445.jpeg IMG_1446.jpeg supercharger oil or blow by given it's location. see the pics. Have to do a little research on those hoses as well. I am sure it can be done but want to know if it is worth the hassle i guess.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know, man. The supercharger intake doesn't look bad to me. The rust colored liquid around the propeller shaft is more interesting, unless you had to add penetrating oil to remove the coupler. Facing the engine, The left hose on the throttle body goes to the pcv. It's the recirculation hose. The one on the right goes to the fuel purge solenoid, which terminates at a union in the upper right corner of the intercooler. I did not trace it from there.

On my wife's LR4, I just had the valve cover replaced = all new intake system gaskets. And I have to do the water pump. So, I'm going to use your method to replace the coupler and snout on hers.

On mine, water pump was just replaced, so I'm going to pull the supercharger. I'll look at the back of the valves to see if there is any significant carbon, etc and report back--unfortunately it will be a couple of months as I collect all of the parts.

Honestly, in the meantime, just judging by the supercharger intake runners, I wouldn't waste your time.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, in the meantime, just judging by the supercharger intake runners, I wouldn't waste your time.
Yeah I think I will wait for you to give Yours a look. I am not looking for an excuse to do more work to this thing. and frankly I think at this point if it is carbonized it will need to be blasted anyway before installing a separator.

cannondale900

Reaction score
Yeah I think I will wait for you to give Yours a look. I am not looking for an excuse to do more work to this thing. and frankly I think at this point if it is carbonized it will need to be blasted anyway before installing a separator.

Fuji - did you have to blast your valves? I have a ticking on SCV6 that is louder than others I've heard, and louder than I like, but doesn't sound like timing chain issues. I've disconnected the s/c belt and the noise is still there. I am at 70k miles and doing s/c coupler and oil, water pump and crossover pipes, and auto trans pan/filter/fluid with mechatronic sleeve. I am half tempted to remove the rest of the intake and the s/c and do plugs and look at valves. I have all of the blasting equipment and materials as I have 2010 535 wagon with N54 that needs blasting once every 40-50k miles.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuji - did you have to blast your valves? I have a ticking on SCV6 that is louder than others I've heard, and louder than I like, but doesn't sound like timing chain issues. I've disconnected the s/c belt and the noise is still there. I am at 70k miles and doing s/c coupler and oil, water pump and crossover pipes, and auto trans pan/filter/fluid with mechatronic sleeve. I am half tempted to remove the rest of the intake and the s/c and do plugs and look at valves. I have all of the blasting equipment and materials as I have 2010 535 wagon with N54 that needs blasting once every 40-50k miles.
Did not blast the valves. We looked and they were fine. No issues there at 75k.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72