Oil change and 64K service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NigeltheRover

Reaction score
Hey All,

I plan on changing my oil in my LR4 for the first time. Has anyone used either Redline or Motul oil? I work for a dealer for those two brands. If any 5w20 is ok I assume redline oil is ok?

secondly, what else should I change at 64K miles? I don't have much maintenance history on this truck other than it was dealer serviced up until about 50K miles on it.

Thanks!

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at my last oil change I switched to Red Line 5W-20. Should have an oil analysis by summertime to see how it compares with the dealer Castrol. I intend to change it every 5kmi, although it could probably go longer if the UOA looks good.

Thanks for sharing your UOA results. I will be following your reporting. My dealers are still offering 5W-20 for purchase but I'm curious about alternatives. I'm at 67K miles with no known issues and a very quiet engine. Of course that begs the question, why change horses now? It's a fair question... I should probably do my own UOA to validate my situation one way or the other.

Great talk, thanks!

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the LR dealer in Idaho no longer carries 5W-20 (only 0W-20), at my last oil change I switched to Red Line 5W-20. Should have an oil analysis by summertime to see how it compares with the dealer Castrol. I intend to change it every 5kmi, although it could probably go longer if the UOA looks good.

See post 26 here:
https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/engine-oil-analysis-results-on-2010-lr4-v8.29533/

How’s that redline doing for you? I’ve went with the 0W20 because it’s an extremely heavy 20.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How’s that redline doing for you? I’ve went with the 0W20 because it’s an extremely heavy 20.
See post #32 at this link for the oil analysis with Red Line. Looked great. Haven't had another oil change yet since we're not driving much due to COVID.

I could think of any reason to use 0W-20 instead of 5W-20. Both are much thinner than the Red Line 10W-40 used in all my other vehicles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi