Oil change - Dealer vs. Jiffy Lube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dg417

Reaction score
I have an 05 LR3 that is now out of warranty. I always had my oil changes done by the dealer along with the scheduled maintenance. I was wondering if I should continue going to dealer or is it ok to go to a quick lube place like Jiffy Lube. A place like Jiffy Lube is much more convenient but I don't want to sacrifice my LR3 for a little extra convenience. By the way: (Doing it myself is not an option)

Also how often should I get oil changes? The manual says 7500 miles but the car is only driven about that much per year. I don't think once a year is enough, should I just do it every 6 months?

Thanks...

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least every six months depending on conditions dust, heat, and how hard you drive. But know this I would no sooner let anyone but myself work on my vehicle. Not even the stealership. If you take it to anyone take it to a reputable independent shoppe. It cost a lot more to not have your service addressed properly and a competent mechanic that one may trust will usually insist on a bit more than changing oil. Ultimately someone that will treat it as though it were their own.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twice a year for oil changes.
How many miles on it?
Do not take it to a quck lube if you valve your truck and a dealer will **** you on prices. Why not do it your self?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do we allow this BS ad for a Chip for $69, they are just a joke and should be removed from this site, if we are trying to put out benefical information.
I hope whoever the administrator is, that he will look into this ad and see it for what it is, JUNK.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick lube places don't have the right filter, they make one work and it's as cheap as they can buy for your $25 fee. Your car costs big money new, it deserves better care from more than a lube monkey who looks under Camrys all day and might just a rubber plug to stop up your oil drain if they lose your funny sized LR plug. Use an independent mechanic who knows something about LRs or at least foreign branded high line cars. That shop will later be able to help you with brakes, tie rod end replacement and such as needed, plus will get to know you and your car while saving you money over the dealer.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah to the above response so eloquantly put. Seriously doing all that one can on your own is what the college kids say is a zen thing. Having never gone to college ( but holding a high profile great job) I love to tell the mucky mucks I do all my own work. Don't mind getting dirty and greasey. Just try changing your own oil possibly with supervision from a competent tech. Then maybe you'll understand the "zen" thing and have a better appreciation for all that is good about a rover.

dg417

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. It seem DIY is the best option but I will have to go with the second best option which is dealership. Many other forums also mention to stay away from the quick lube type places.

Thanks again

motz

Reaction score
Is there any tutorial on how-to?

I just drove all the way to the dealer for 36months maintenance and told me
its fully booked and need to reschedule!

my oil change is OVERDUE, bought my 06 LR3 on Feb this year but just found out the oil was never changed since Nov 2008.

I am going to change it by myself because I can't wait a day with this overdue engine oil!
But I need a tutorial on how to....and also which filter or oil to use....

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with mustbeaudi, find yourself a mechanic who is LR specific or even
British motor savy. Then go from there. DONT TAKE IT TO QUICK LUBES.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sheesh, it is just an oil change. Yes, the quick lubes suck and will rip you off. But ANY small town mechanic can do it for you. Just ask a neighbor who they have used...
There's certainly no trick to it other than unbolting the skid plate to access the filter and drain plug. Buy the filter online (roverparts.com) and supply it for him. Or come to my house and I'll do it in 10 minutes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV