Oil level not showing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I go to the Service Menu and look at Oil Level I get a message "not available"

All the other stuff (tire pressure etc) works. Oil level indicator used to work. Now it shows zero level and the " not available" message

Something to worry about? It's a 2016 LR4 with 4K miles

Frank

SORRY. I just tried again and it's ok. It wasn't shoeing just after I switched off engine. 20 Minutes later all ok.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait 15 minutes after turning off the engine, then try reading the level again. Don't crank the engine, just hit the engine start button with your foot off the brake pedal and access the Service Menu again. The oil level will only display when the engine is not running, and after the oil has settled for at least 10 minutes (but 15 minutes is better.)

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks umbertob, you are a wealth of info. I just bought a 2011 LR4 and I am as jumpy as a cat on a hot tin roof. The engine sounds a little rough when I first start up and then, after it warms up, it has a "ticking" sound. It's been a while since I owned a truck and maybe that is just the way the engine sounds. Seems to have plenty of power. Not smelling any oil or seeing any drips. But when I saw that indicator at zero and the phrase "Not Available" my heart about stopped. I even lifted the hood looking for an obvious dip stick (besides myself standing there) and I couldn't see one. I figured I could at least check the oil level manually. Guess I need to go back to the owner's manual.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umbertob’s procedure is correct, but there is another little trick you should know. If you pop the hood and go into the oil level screen, you can click twice on the CAN button (cruise control cancel) and it should give you the level, even if the engine has just been running. Not the best way to check if you’ve just been driving as the oil level has not had a chance to settle, but sometimes useful. I think it gives you real-time adjustment when you hit the CAN twice, so useful for refilling oil after change.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks umbertob, you are a wealth of info. I just bought a 2011 LR4 and I am as jumpy as a cat on a hot tin roof. The engine sounds a little rough when I first start up and then, after it warms up, it has a "ticking" sound. It's been a while since I owned a truck and maybe that is just the way the engine sounds. Seems to have plenty of power. Not smelling any oil or seeing any drips. But when I saw that indicator at zero and the phrase "Not Available" my heart about stopped. I even lifted the hood looking for an obvious dip stick (besides myself standing there) and I couldn't see one. I figured I could at least check the oil level manually. Guess I need to go back to the owner's manual.
It does sound like this, or at least both of mine did/do. It's the fuel injectors ticking and it gets worse as they get dirty. Run Seafoam or the equivalent in it regularly to try and keep the racket down.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Al Pizzica!
Welcome to the club, I bought mine last August and have absolutely loved it (more than I ever would have imagined)... It's given me a few sleepless nights and challenging diagnostic episodes but as time goes by I feel a little more confident in my choice (it has 90,000 miles!). This forum has been an amazing resource and community :).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA