Oil message: Below Minimum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pabs406

Reaction score
Hi Members. I checked my oil level right before performing an oil change and got the message “Below Minimum.” It didn’t state how many liters to add.

I was only able to take out a little over 6 liters of oil. My question is whether I should add 8 liters back or less. What do you guys think? Thanks.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I doubt you have 2 liters of oil just hiding out somewhere. If that's all you got from the vacuum tube, that's probably all you had in it (assuming the vehicle was level). Looks like you were 2 liters low.

That said, you can add six and then check your oil level, add more, check again, etc.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always add 8 to 8.5 quarts (that's about 8 liters), regardless of how much I vacuum out, and it's usually sufficient for a good fill. When's the last time you changed oil prior to this one? If you only drained 6 liters out of the engine, you most likely have a small leak somewhere and should get it checked out - unless you underfilled it the last time.

PS: The sensors will only prompt you to add a specific amount of oil if they determine you are a quart or so below the minimum. If you are below that level, the system will just throw a generic "below minimum" message since it cannot guesstimate how much you need to add (you can add a quart to start, and check again.) So, it appears your sensors are working and you were indeed a couple of liters short. Start checking your oil level more often, to be safe.

Last edited:

pabs406

Reaction score
Looks like I must have underfilled last oil change, which was 6,000 miles ago. I just put in 8 quarts and oil level was at max. Thanks for your input guys.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't beat yourself up, this is the downside of the e oil sensor as it either shows full or half with nothing in between. Last change you probably had just enough in to show that the level was "full" when in reality it may have been half full + 1 teaspoon. The LR4 has an increased sump capacity to deal with the severe off camber angles it may be subjected to. If you are not performing these acrobatics then your oil intake still had good oil supply.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a somewhat related note, someone told me it is best practice to fill or prime the new oil filter with oil at each change. Say what?? On paper this makes a certain amount of sense but how the hell is it possible the way our filters are installed with the open end down? I have no intention of even attempting it but wondering if others have heard this.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gravity will prime it! :) You should always double check oil level after replacing the filter with a new one and letting the engine run for a few minutes (since filters do absorb some oil), but other than that... I don't see anything on the workshop manuals about priming the oil filter.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything on the workshop manuals about priming the oil filter.

I did a very cursory search online before posting that, and-- shocker-- found several threads debating it. What would an auto forum be without an oil debate.

Anyway, I take my LR4 oil changing best practices from some guy's youtube video I found...:D

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd still monitor the levels for this one if I were you . Just because it took 8 this time doesn't mean you didn't put in 8 last time and end up with 6.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72