Oil Pressure sending unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

super_poser

Does anyone know what the thread specifications are on the sending unit? I want to put a gauge on my Discovery with a 3.9 engine. I have read it some where but can't find it now. Also any ideas where to tap in for a water temp gauge? Thanks Charles Allen

S

super_poser

I think I found it. Just in case anyone else wants to know the sender fitting is 1/2" or 3/8" BSPP (British Standard Pipe Parrallel). Charles

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil tap off

super poser, on my 95 D1 i installed a 1" thick sandwich adapter that has two ports. The adapter has the bypass removed and holes drilled for oil flow to the filter. One port goes to the pre-oiler, other port to a tee, one side for pressure gauge sender, other for a fuel pump shut off switch ( this controls the electronic time delay for pre-oiler). Inside just toward the rear of shift lever is the gauge, switchable to read accumulator or engine pressure. After the loss of a 3.9 motor (under 7/100,000) warranty i improved the system. I'm running a 4.6 with 5-speed and love it. Also i'm running a Hastings 426 oil filter, it's 7" long. With the long oil filter and sandwich adapter i have 3/8" clearance from filter to front cross member. 20# oil pressure before starting a
cold engine makes me feel warm inside. Just because Rover designed it, dosen't mean it's correct or right. Carl.........................o&o>...............

S

super_poser

Can you take a picture? I assume you are talking about the adapter going between the oil filter and the engine. I have seen those on the net, but have never talked to anyone using one. That would be much eaiser than taking out the sending unit and plumbing in the gauge. Charles

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
super-poser, the sandwich adapter was made by Perma-Cool , it's 1" thick, they make one 1 1/2" thick also. You "MUST" drill out the bypass and around the center boss area for oil flow as the side ports will be blocked ( pipe plug and pressure sender). With the short 1" vs the 1 1/2" you can install a 7" filter
without hitting the crossmember. Sorry i have no photos at this time, i'll take some with gauge, pre-oiler, timer, senders and adapter and post later. Carl.
...................................................................................o&o>............

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perma-Cool adapter

super-poser, there are two thread types, for the Rover it's 3/4"-16 thread, same as for Ford/Chrysler. Chevy uses 13/16"-16 thread. Jeg's has the 1" adapter part # 771-181..........3/4"-16 thread for $19.99. Carl.....o&o>........

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sandwich adapter mods

Super-Poser, When you have your adapter in hand make a post and i'll give you modification instructions. Carl.........................o&o>........................

S

super_poser

Yo Yo Yo Mr. Beemer I have the adapter Jeg's part # 771-181 in my hot little hands. What do I do to modify it for a gauge? Thanks Charles Allen :eating:

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sandwich adapter mods and guage

super-poser, i didn't forget you, i'll do a scan of my spare adapter as well as instructions sunday and e-mail to you. Carl..........o&o>..........................

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72