Onboard Spare parts when off-roading/overlanding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so the phrase overloading gets used to death, but its all in the mix with off-road use of these vehicles. So, which spares, if any do you keep onboard when you take the Landy away from the blacktop?

I'm not talking spare tyres, oil or coolant, I'm referring to spare components, brake pedal switch, suspension height sensor etc.

I'm thinking of getting a list together and wanted to draw upon the wisdom and invaluable experience of this crowd.

For context I'm thinking of BLM land and forrest roads, not the Canning stock route.... but if anyone has done the canning with their Discovery 4 then please chime in :)

Stu.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this one really counts, but I always keep my GAP IID tool inside my glovebox.

Plus a tire plug kit. Some basic survival gear.

As far as spare parts, I don't keep anything. Just some basic tools and survival equipment.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really can't think of any spare parts you should carry for an LR4. (Unlike the LR3 brake switch) Not practical to change a coolant manifold, crossover pipe or alternator on a trip.

Bring a Micro Start XP-10. Can jump an LR4 and charge other electronics.

I recently added a set of vice-grips to my carry-on tool bag. My spare tire winch is rusted and seizes. That thin loop-rod is not strong enough to break it free. I have to clamp one grip onto the metal tab with the hole, then clamp the other grip onto the first grip at a right angle. Then I can get enough leverage to turn the tab and lower the spare tire.

Last edited:

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no overlanding here.... but i carry a brake switch, assorted fuses, socket set, wrenches, screwdriver. I also have jumper cables, that I may replace soon with a jump pack.
Im honestly not even sure why i carry the tools. without replacement parts, what am i using them to do? lol. but i guess its just peace of mind.

I recently added a set of vice-grips to my carry-on tool bag. My spare tire winch is rusted and seizes. That thin loop-rod is not strong enough to break it free. I have to clamp one grip onto the metal tab with the hole, then clamp the other grip onto the first grip at a right angle. Then I can get enough leverage to turn the tab and lower the spare tire.

i spent a little over 1 hr removing the spare tire winch, repacking with grease, welding it together again and it works flawlessly. depending what your priorities are, it may be worth it for you? if the time comes I get a flat in bad weather or bad location, the last thing id want to do is fight with the tire winch.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something like this will get you where you need to go if the LR breaks down. Cuts the departure angle down though.
Screenshot 2021-02-23 080708.png

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always have an XP-10 jump-pack, a tire plug kit, an air compressor, my IID Tool, and some basic tools.

Beyond that, it would all depend on the trip, how long, how remote, etc. If I were going to Colorado I probably wouldn't pack too much as there are many towns nearby I could have something delivered, and it's too hard to predict what could go bad.

If I were going to Patagonia, I'd probably pack a spare air strut, wheel hub/bearing assembly, maybe a new EAS compressor, antifreeze, oil, crossover pipes, tools, etc. Issue becomes getting so weighed down by spare parts the LR4 is more likely to break.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head without going out to do an inventory, the following reside full time in the Rover:

IIDTool
GOE Emergency air "Jumpers" - air hose with quick connect and schrader valve
Air Hose with assorted quick connects
Lithium Jump starter
Tire Plug Kit
Assortment of Fuses, Wire Connectors, Spare Wire, Switches, Terminal blocks, etc.
Multimeter
Duct/Gorilla Tape
80' Length of synthetic winch rope
****** Strap
Tow Strap
2 ****** blocks
Assorted Shackles
Tomahawk - Don't laugh, it's handier than an axe
Entrenching Tool
1/2" Breaker Bar
Pry bar
mounted and handheld VHF/UHF Radios
Gloves - work and insulated
Rain Gear
Midlayer jacket
Spare pants, shirts, boots, socks
Glock 17 with 4 magazines
AR-15 with 4 magazines
Glock/AR Spare parts kit
Lighter/fire starter
3 MREs
2 lifestraws
5 water bottles
3 Tool Rolls with full socket sets, screwdrivers, allen keys, pliers, cutters, tweezers, etc, (seriously, close to 50 pounds of tools)
Fire extinguisher
First Aid Supplies
Headlight/Flashlight
Phone chargers

With the exception of the rifle and handgun, 100% of that gear fits under the rear floor where the 3rd row seats previously resided. With the cover in place, you would never know it is there. Rifle goes in an overhead rack and pistol resides where I can reach it from the driver's seat.

If I were seriously heading into the bush, I might put a bin on top with a starter, alternator, brake switch, spare front/rear air strut, spare relays, thermostat, and crossover pipes. That would cover a large portion of immobilizing failures. Would it suck to change an alternator, starter, or strut on the side of trail; sure, could it be done, without a doubt.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ ***? lol. talk about being prepared for anything.

I like your style, and dedication.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Off the top of my head without going out to do an inventory, the following reside full time in the Rover:

Wow... I thought I was the only one. I full time carry all this stuff including a 2T bottle jack, TP, paper towels, chairs, table, tow straps, knives, and a blanket.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut