OT: Disco stripping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

discoskc

Hi all!

I am not sure where to post this. So please forgive me if its the wrong forum.

For those who already know, my 95 Disco was totalled by my insurance company since they could not pay for repairs to the right-side doors and center pillar.

They have offered to sell me the vehicle. But I am not sure if it would make financial sense to part it out myself and sell it part by part.

Is there a forum that I can post such a thing? Is there a market for the parts off a 95 Disco, other than the right passenger side doors?

Here is what I have in major features:
1. 68K miles old engine
2. 1 month old Borla cat-back exhaust system
3. Genuine landrover brush-guard
4. Genuine running boards
5. 6 CD changer
6. brand new magnacore wires

Everything else you need.

Is it worth the $2500 the insurance company is asking, for me to be able to keep it? Or should I just let them take it and keep the $2500.

SKC

L

LandyLight

You could easily make that money up by parting and puting it on ebay. You can start here and post on other land rover BBS but that sounds like a good deal to me.

B

bendrover

I could use the Magnacore wires and the brush gaurd --- bounce me an email with what your looking for if you decide to do it.
thanks,
Andrew

D

disco1

I agree with LandyLight about turning a profit by selling off the parts on ebay, however, bear in mind that you will have some hassles such as: you will have to strip the vehicle, engine, gearbox, transmission etc, then find suitable containers to ship in to the purchaser (not to mention filling your garage with a lot of parts), and finally, you will have to get rid of the shell/chassis if no one buys the running gear complete.
I don't think it's worth the hassle, but if you have no other hobbies that occupies your time, then go for it.

BTW, if you what to become a Land Rover legend, you would do all of this in your lounge room. (photo posting is required). Hehe!

B

bendrover

I totally understand the inconvenience. I just didn't know the direction being taken, and wanted to drop my eagerness. Just something that needed to be thrown out there, lol. I'm always looking for a good deal.
:)

D

discoskc

I could potentially give you the magnacore and the brush guards, even if they take the Disco away. Since the brush guards are not covered in the settlement. The settlement only talks about the base vehicle. Without any upgrades I made.

So I think I have the following to offer:
- Brush Guard
- Running boards
- 6 CD Changer
- 2 LightForce lights
- Magnacore Wires
- Genuine Distributor Cap and Rotor
- 2 Fuel pump relays in the pack
- 1 K&N Oil Filter in the pack
- Almost new K&N Air Filter

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also depends where you live.... if you have room for a disabled (ugly) vehicle at your home, if you have the time and ability to take apart and sell all the different pieces, place on ebay or here with photos, etc. Also how quickly you need the 2500 back to buy new transportation. I agree with Disco1 on this one. It seems like a lot of work for maybe $500-1000 in profit, if your lucky. Unless you just want a fun hobby that involves a really oily garage/driveway.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree... add-ons should not be included, unless they used those items to give you a better check.... I do think that you have a right to pull off accessories though, and they are the easiest to remove and resell.

D

discoskc

Our community does not allow for any vehicle that cannot be driven to be in the driveway. So I cannot have this out there for more than one week.

B

bendrover

What are you looking to get for the Magnacore cables, the brush guard, light force lights, and air filter?
(individually priced that is)
Thanks,
Andrew

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut