1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oversize tires for 2020 Defender

Discussion in 'Defender' started by bromhead, Jul 30, 2020.

1. bromhead

bromhead Full Access Member

Curious what oversize tire options there are for the new defender. I assume the bigger engine versions require 19 or bigger wheels due to the brake calipers. Are there 18 in options like there are for the LR4? And how big can we go. Outside magazine hints at 35’s with a bit of a mod....

2. DonMitsu

DonMitsu Full Access Member

3. bromhead

Nice
    I wonder how large you can go on those 18’s, especially with rods or a gap tool equivalent for a defender.

4. DonMitsu

Lucky8 pics show 33x12.5. Hopefully they’ll release more info soon

5. colorover

colorover Full Access Member

18s only on the 4 banger, doing a brake swap for 1” smaller wheels is absurd. LR screwed the pooch on this.

6. DonMitsu

I don't disagree, 18" wheels give you so many more tire options. I believe the Land Rover engineers were excited to get the deal with Good Year to produce the Wrangler Duratracs that they didn't consider some of us like options (and more sidewall) But when I purchased my LR4 19" was the smallest wheel and 18" wouldn't fit without spacers, so I'm not sure this should be a surprise to us. At the end of the day this is both an incredibly comfortable and capable vehicle. When you consider towing and the 3rd row seat, it truly has no competitors and being an LR4 owner I've been dependent on aftermarket mods to get the vehicle configured to my taste (Johnson Rods, Compomotive Wheels, Gap IIDtool, winch mount, etc) So I was excited to see Lucky8 embrace this car from the start. I'm just ready for my Defender to arrive already lol 3 more months!

Troy Angrignon likes this.
  7. PaulLR3

PaulLR3 Full Access Member

Another issue is winter tires. I checked the Nokian website and they don't offer a winter tire in either the 19" or 20" Defender tire sizes. One more reason I'll take my LR4 through winter and order a Defender next spring.

8. bromhead

I realize that perhaps I get too carried away with this but to me the tire size really comes off as a clear indication that Land Rover is really not focused in making what I would call a true off road vehicle. That’s certainly where the market has been headed, although with the Bronco and Jeep resurgence, perhaps we might see a sea change. Just like the Lr4 with its 19 wheels, it’s just such a shame that a vehicle with such amazing off road abilities is severely compromised by its footwear. Is the defender’s market that of a poser, amazing capabilities they will hardly ever been tested besides a quick swing through Mojave or a snowy drive to Tahoe? Look , the defender is a step in the right direction compared to the D5, but the limitation on the bigger motor just makes it into a more aggressive sporty suv (yes, a bit of an exaggeration).

I hope the new Bronco is very successful and Rover takes note. How about their version of a Sasquatch option: slightly raised suspension, bigger tires and wheels, OEM caliper replacement.....I have to believe that’s doable

that all being said, I have yet to read a write up on the p300, perhaps my whining is all for nothing and a suitable option already exists :)