P0301- Cylinder 1 misfire. Restricted Performance. Rough idle under Load. 2012 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Top Engine

Reaction score
Trying to get to the bottom of this gremlin:
On cold startup, the engine will idle rather rough. Under load, it will hesitate a climb. Check engine light will flash, go into restricted performance mode. On restart, it will operate but still somewhat sluggish. Engine performs better after it was warmed up. With the exception of the injectors and throttle body control unit, all actuators and sensors (including both MAF, all O2 sensors, Plugs, Coils, cam sensors, coolant temp) were replaced during an engine rebuild I did within the last 2 years. Reading codes off GAP tool, no tell tale signs of anomaly aside from Cylinder 1 misfire. I'm wondering if there are specific components that are more prone to premature failure that can contribute to this?

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say the #1 injector is restricted.
I would try the BG44K, as directed by BG.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Injector seems likely to me as well, could be clogged but might also be failing open and flooding - much more likely to cause the restricted performance I think.

Red Top Engine

Reaction score
Found the problem: Bad Coil. The cylinder 1 plug did have a little oil on it but it didn't make a difference in engine performance after putting new one in. The moment I replaced the coil pack (on cyl 1), stumbling & hesitation stopped. Swapped around with a spare twice to confirm. These coils I purchased from AB less than a year ago so rather surprised they failed so early. They don't have the same FoMoCo insignia as OEM. Leaning on replacing all with OEM, as who knows which of the other 7 will fail shortly.

Attachments

• IMG_7596 (1).jpg
    IMG_7596 (1).jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA