Payload discrepancies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dario Atallah

Reaction score
When I bought my 2017 Discovery Td6, I knew the GVWR was 6989 lbs and the curb weight was 4916 lbs. This gives me a payload capacity of 2073 lbs. The numbers were confirmed by the manual in the car.

However, after receiving the car and looking at the label by the driver's door (tire and loading information), it says "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1202 lbs".

The payload difference of 871 lbs is so large I'm not sure what to make of it.

I need to weigh the car to check on the curb weight, but to be off that much does not seem right.

Any thoughts?

Dario Atallah

Reaction score
It's odd that they would assume the maximum tongue weight (which is 771 lbs). It would account for the missing 871 lbs minus 100 lbs for options they may have added. I have a call into the dealer to see if they can explain it.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be odd but not surprising. It assumes Americans are stupid and can't figure out to reduce their people/cargo load if a heavy trailer is attached. They do the same things with tire pressures which for North America assumes your rig is fully loaded all the time. everywhere else gets a range or tire pressures depending on load.

It is a US lawyer problem.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in Europe, but my Disco weighs much more! Don’t have the papers at hand, but something like 2670 kg empty, or 5886 lbs, give or take. Even if yours were a completely bare version, without all the gadgetry, I marvel how it could be so light...

Josh Johnson

Reaction score
So I was researching this heavily when looking to upgrade from a 2016 Disco Sport for towing specifically hitch weight limit. I upgraded to same as yours 2017 Discovery HSE TD6. LR makes a lot of updates to manual to changes specs I have found so best to use online manual. So mine is a 7 seater so online manual has curb weight as 4916 and GVW as 6989 then there is a note that says this includes passengers and cargo, so 2073 same as you calculated. But there is also a note in the tow weights section that 310 is the normal hitch weight unless you add brakes to trailer then it’s 771 (this was the key number I was looking for since you can’t use assist hitches on air bags with LR) and it says for every lb over 310 deduct from payload. So this is just a guess but maybe they screwed up label and used number with a 771 tongue weight and 170 on the roof already Deducted plus used a 5 seater GVW? I’d ignore the label and go with online manual

https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/

Dwelce

Reaction score
I'd be interested to learn more about this too. I wanted to switch from my 2015 LR4 to a Discovery 5 but when researching the payload capacity all the stickers I saw on the door had something around 800-900lbs. Which is even lower than what you have. If I could for sure get to at least 1500lbs of payload I'd be good from a payload perspective. I still may be over on rear axle weight, at least i was on my LR4. I figured that the Discovery 5 is supposed to be about 1000lbs lighter than the LR4.

For frame of reference, my LR4 payload sticker shows a bit over 1,200lbs.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have part of the solution, but still not all of it... You must be talking petrol engines, are you? Mine is a diesel, and I have an OEM fuel heater and double diff lock... That could explain some of the difference in curb weight. My GVW is slightly higher, too: 3260 kg, or 7187 lbs. Still, could all this explain as much as a 440 kg difference?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut