Persistent air lock in the cooling system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

executivejazz

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Vogue and had a new radiator fitted six months ago. About a month later the temperature gauge started to creep up and got worse every day. The mechanic who fitted the radiator bled the system again and it was fine for another couple of months. Had the system bled again. No leaks to be found. Two months on and it’s started again but much quicker this time with no back to normal at any point. Anybody had anything similar or any suggestions st to what might be the problem? Cheers. Executivejazz

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to go to the rangerovers dot net site. Much more action there for rangies

Easycool

Reaction score
Might I suggest that you rent a pressure test kit. This checks for leaks in the reservoir cap and the whole coolant system. You may have a leak in a hose you can't see, but under pressure (@16 PSI) it will show up quickly.

Secondly, if this test shows no leaks and holds pressure, the next test is a block test. Cost is about $50.00 + special fluid. This will check for compression gasses in the coolant.

I sincerely hope you find the problem quickly. Of note, make sure that you have your heater (front & back) full on.

The best way to bleed your system is to pull a vacuum @ 25 ~ 26HG, then fill the coolant. No leaks = no air in the system in this manner.

executivejazz

Reaction score
Many thanks. I’ve had yet another radiator fitted, and a new water pump and thermostat also. Even after all that it still lost coolant so the consensus was it must be a head gasket. Bought some K-seal as a last resort which amazingly, after 5 days (not the 1 or 2 minutes it said on the bottle) seems to have done the trick.
It’s now running beautifully and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it’s a permanent fix. Now all I have to do is convince my better half that it’s not a dog and it’s worth keeping!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72