Possible ‘13 LR4 Purchase (Also posted in Intro)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonshine

Reaction score
Extension of today’s interaction with the dealership mechanic who performed the repair on the coolant leak. Turns out it was the front crossover pipe that failed. Which was subsequently replaced and pressure tested. Would it be a safe bet to assume I no longer need to perform this preemptive maintenance for now? The mechanic did state the rear crossover pipe looked to be in fair/good condition.

I still have the vehicle in for the PPI at the LR dealership. And as long as no other underlying issues arise, I will likely go with a third party extended warranty as piece of mind. That way I’m covered just in case the any issues arise following the repair; the dealer did not want to offer a warranty for his work.

I’m assuming the residual coolant smell is likely the coolant left over under the intake manifold. I presume I could try and flush it out with water, but will take a much closer look to make sure.

As far as extended warranties go: Has anyone heard of Veritas? They offer a comprehensive coverage for high-mileage vehicles at the tune of about $3,800, and I figure half of that cost would be met if I didn’t get the warranty and paid for the preventative coolant maintenance.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Brandon

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only big-ticket warranty item that remains is the timing chains. Most everything else that will happen will cost you less than the warranty, or will be things the warranty might not cover (i.e. wear items).

The 2013 should have the updated timing chain guides. That said, regular oil changes are still key. And by regular, I mean 7k intervals, and not Land Rover's 15k recommendation.

But, the warranty is some peace of mind, depending on how long it goes and what it covers. I'm kind of shocked there's a warranty company that will cover a 100k-mile Rover, though.

Sonshine

Reaction score
I did have the opportunity to speak with the Selling Dealership mechanic to performed the coolant service As it turns out, it was the front coolant crossover pipe that burst, but he only replaced the front. From what I could tell, it didn’t appear like the engine overheated... some steam and coolant... no MIL light or overheat indicators... the only thing that I got on the dash was a low coolant level indicator. The PPI from LR Service Dept came back clean. LR recommended I plan for LCAs and the air compressor within the next 25k miles. They performed a pressure test on the coolant system which came back with no leaks, so I’m thinking that I may be in the clear.

I’m going to go with a third party extended warranty “comprehensive” for 5 years and an additional 48k miles to push it to 150k. It will give me piece of mind, in case the coolant system does fail causing a catastrophic engine failure. That should also cover me in the event I need to get the timing chain and associated parts replaced. It’s my piece of mind coverage... And they do cover LCA, which I thought was great. The company is Veritas Global Protection. Hopefully they’re good. Their reviews are predominantly positive. I spoke with their customer service who provided me with the “Say this, don’t say that”... and their exclusion list which was minor.

If everything is good, I may cancel the warranty 12 months from now... We’ll have to see.

Thanks again for the help.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did have the opportunity to speak with the Selling Dealership mechanic to performed the coolant service As it turns out, it was the front coolant crossover pipe that burst, but he only replaced the front. From what I could tell, it didn’t appear like the engine overheated... some steam and coolant... no MIL light or overheat indicators... the only thing that I got on the dash was a low coolant level indicator. The PPI from LR Service Dept came back clean. LR recommended I plan for LCAs and the air compressor within the next 25k miles. They performed a pressure test on the coolant system which came back with no leaks, so I’m thinking that I may be in the clear.

I’m going to go with a third party extended warranty “comprehensive” for 5 years and an additional 48k miles to push it to 150k. It will give me piece of mind, in case the coolant system does fail causing a catastrophic engine failure. That should also cover me in the event I need to get the timing chain and associated parts replaced. It’s my piece of mind coverage... And they do cover LCA, which I thought was great. The company is Veritas Global Protection. Hopefully they’re good. Their reviews are predominantly positive. I spoke with their customer service who provided me with the “Say this, don’t say that”... and their exclusion list which was minor.

If everything is good, I may cancel the warranty 12 months from now... We’ll have to see.

Thanks again for the help.

double check the fine print, especially related to the LCA.
ive heard of warranties that will not cover the repair if its both right and left sides being replaced, because that signifies its a wear/tear replacement. this goes with anything similar...wheel bearings, shocks, etc.
same topic, the LCA is actually different than the bushings. the actual LCA rarely goes bad, people just replace them since its easier/faster to swap out the arm (with bushings already installed). are bushings covered?

Sonshine

Reaction score
double check the fine print, especially related to the LCA.
ive heard of warranties that will not cover the repair if its both right and left sides being replaced, because that signifies its a wear/tear replacement. this goes with anything similar...wheel bearings, shocks, etc.
same topic, the LCA is actually different than the bushings. the actual LCA rarely goes bad, people just replace them since its easier/faster to swap out the arm (with bushings already installed). are bushings covered?

Yes, I read the read the entirety of the contract. It does include the bushings, batteries, etc. I’d have to see what the cost difference would be.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Extension of today’s interaction with the dealership mechanic who performed the repair on the coolant leak. Turns out it was the front crossover pipe that failed. Which was subsequently replaced and pressure tested. Would it be a safe bet to assume I no longer need to perform this preemptive maintenance for now? The mechanic did state the rear crossover pipe looked to be in fair/good condition.

I still have the vehicle in for the PPI at the LR dealership. And as long as no other underlying issues arise, I will likely go with a third party extended warranty as piece of mind. That way I’m covered just in case the any issues arise following the repair; the dealer did not want to offer a warranty for his work.

I’m assuming the residual coolant smell is likely the coolant left over under the intake manifold. I presume I could try and flush it out with water, but will take a much closer look to make sure.

As far as extended warranties go: Has anyone heard of Veritas? They offer a comprehensive coverage for high-mileage vehicles at the tune of about $3,800, and I figure half of that cost would be met if I didn’t get the warranty and paid for the preventative coolant maintenance.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Brandon

As far as the rear crossover, I'll just say this: you want to replace it along with the front, regardless of how it looks. Both are regular maintenance items(along with the water pump) and outward appearance should not be used as a barometer.

Fugi Snow

Reaction score
Hello all,

New LR Forum member and possible 2013 LR4 owner with a 100k miles. CARFAX indicates regular dealership service with oil changes averaging between 9k to 15k miles including recommended maintenance conducted IAW maintenance schedule. Most notably, LCAs and spark plugs were replaced at 60k and water pump was replaced at 84k.

During test drive, the coolant hose popped off which covered the front portion of the engine bay, but it did not overheat the engine. Dealer indicated the coolant clamp and hose were replaced, but there was still a residual smell of it (possibly burn-off) during the second test drive. I’m planning to have an independent PPI performed at San Diego LR to ensure there aren’t any other underlying issues and confirm the repair was performed correctly.

Also, on the second test drive the cold start I was listening for the dreaded tension guide issue. There was some noise but it went away after about 30 seconds and did not return when the engine was warmed up. I could not confirm that it was the timing chain slap.

My question: Is it worth getting a third party extended warranty, or just factor in the cost of preemptive repairs in the beginning. I’ve read a lot of issues with coolant crossover pipes as well as tension guide issues with the timing chains. Should I just knock it out at a local Indie right off the bat, or would it be better off to steer clear of this vehicle...

Any information is helpful.

Thanks in advance.

-Brandon

Fugi Snow

Reaction score
My experience: I purchased my LR4 in 2017 with 70,000+ miles and I took out the extended warranty. It started paying for itself right away. After about 1,000 miles the front control arms were replaced, after that the water pump and accompanying parts, etc.
My opinion: I didn't know what I know now but with what I knew then the warranty was/is worth the lack of knowledge (it is a used car you're inheriting).

portlandlife

Reaction score
Front crossover being replaced is great because those failures can lead to catastrophic engine failure. Front crossovers can burst open and leak out all the coolant in seconds on the highway and before you see you are overheating it's too late. Rear crossover typically leaks and should be replaced preventatively. I just did mine. An indy quoted me $1,000 for the front and rear pipes. Problem is that you can't use your warranty for preemptive maintenance. Water pumps and thermostats are basically considered maintenance items as well. I feel the problem with warranties for Land Rover is that there are many items you don't really want to wait until they break and preventative maintenance is can be costly on Rovers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV