Possible fix for steering wheel vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As most know, my 2010 LR4 has a problem with the steering wheel vibrating over 50mph when cold. After driving it for 15-30 minutes, the vibration markedly improves.
The steering system has been replaced, the tires have been balanced no less than 7 times, the tires have been replaced....
Recently the dealer replaced my 'control arms', because they noted the bushings were sticking out a bit----i hope i have the terminology correct. I guess these bushings are filled with fluid---which might account for the reason why the vibration is better once the car drives for a while.

I don't mean to get anyones hopes up, but since the repair, and the little driving i have done since, vibration is nearly gone. Like i said though, i have not driven much since though.

But, i wanted to get this post out to see what others thought and see if it helps anyone or see if it even makes sense!

vliberman

Reaction score
Also have 2010 LR4 with a similar symptoms.... Took to a dealer today.... Will report findings......

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steering wheel vibration are usually caused by 1) improper balancing of the tires (wheel weights), 2) tires have changed shape (flat spotting from sitting extended periods, or uneven wear). I find that most car dealerships know very little about tire balancing...

Good luck with your problem.

-Blake

mrtp4

Reaction score
Cypress - (and maybe Vliberman?),
I'm very interested in some updates as time goes on. I have been through all the usual tire balancing and tire changing and alignments and several service bulletins, including the steering-rack replacement, same as Cypress. Things improved a lot after the steering rack replacement, but the vibration is still there. It used to be terrible, embarrassing to even have people in the truck! But since the steering-rack TSB only the driver can notice the vibration. So much better, but still not gone.

Would love to get some updates as you get more time on the new control arms. I will NEVER be able to convince my dealer to read the forum and do the same fix on my truck, which is frustrating, but Land Rover would be smart to keep on top of it. They must be spending a fortune replacing steering racks.

Please keep us posted!

vliberman

Reaction score
94speedster, not sure if what u listed could be the cause as vibration goes away with time as it was pointed out by cypress...... Still awaiting response from the dealer but have forwarded him a link to this forum....

vliberman

Reaction score
so dealer replaced ball-joints and bushings... will see if this fixes the problem.... Glad to report that overall experience at the dealer, LR Encino in LA area, was rather pleasant.....

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was probably too brief with my comment - apologies. In the mid 90s, I had a Saab which had a vibrating steering wheel. The vibration was worst around 60 mph. I took it to the dealer, and they wanted to replace the steering rack and bushings. By chance, I ran it by the local tire guy and the weights had come off the left front tire, unbalancing the wheel. Problem solved. Years later, I began to race cars (Porsches) and occassionaly would have the same problem when putting new track tires on the car. Like the Saab dealer, the Porsche dealer recommended that I fix my new GT3 under warranty (steering rack, bushing, control arms, etc.) And like the Saab, the actual problem was lost wheel weights.... thank god for a trustworthy tire/alignment shop! On the track, improper wheel balancing is a normal problem. The problem there is that the adhesive for the weights isn't "grippy" enough for the high speeds. Additionally, I once had the problem of flat spotting a tire which resulted in a shaky steering wheel. This happened after I stored a car for a winter, and forgot to raise the tire pressures for storage. After about an hour of driving at speed (heat cycling tires), the tire trued itself...

I guess my point is that dealers LOVE to take advantage of work under warranty. Replacing parts here and there is profitable (parts cost + labor). I know that some dealers are better than others, but in my experience, most are the same. They just want to make money, and will bend ethics to do so... The more work I have learned to do on my track cars, the more this has become crystal clear.

My $0.02,
-B

mrtp4

Reaction score
94 - All good points, and certainly some dealers might take advantage of some opportunities here. But at least in my case, I know the dealer had to rebalance all 4 tires and do an alignment as part of the service bulletin, before LR-North-America would authorize them to replace the steering rack.

In fact, when I brought it in for service I had my winter tires and rims on it. Later that day the dealer called me back and I had to go home and return with all my factory tires and rims. LR-North-America would not accept the balance/alignment the dealer did on my winters - LR-NA insisted it be done on the OEM tires and rims.

So I had the same vibration on both winters and summers, so likely not a flat spot, and both sets were balanced and aligned prior to replacing the steering rack. And vibration still not entirely gone.

So you're right - everyone should pay close attention to flat spots and balance etc, but in my case at least, I think it there really is a deeper problem. So I'm eager to hear longer-term results from control arms, ball-joints, bushings, whatever else is tried.

Thanks -

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick