Possible LR4 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonshine

Reaction score
Hello all,

New LR Forum member and possible 2013 LR4 owner with a 100k miles. CARFAX indicates regular dealership service with oil changes averaging between 9k to 15k miles including recommended maintenance conducted IAW maintenance schedule. Most notably, LCAs and spark plugs were replaced at 60k and water pump was replaced at 84k.

During test drive, the coolant hose popped off which covered the front portion of the engine bay, but it did not overheat the engine. Dealer indicated the coolant clamp and hose were replaced, but there was still a residual smell of it (possibly burn-off) during the second test drive. I’m planning to have an independent PPI performed at San Diego LR to ensure there aren’t any other underlying issues and confirm the repair was performed correctly.

Also, on the second test drive the cold start I was listening for the dreaded tension guide issue. There was some noise but it went away after about 30 seconds and did not return when the engine was warmed up. I could not confirm that it was the timing chain slap.

My question: Is it worth getting a third party extended warranty, or just factor in the cost of preemptive repairs in the beginning. I’ve read a lot of issues with coolant crossover pipes as well as tension guide issues with the timing chains. Should I just knock it out at a local Indie right off the bat, or would it be better off to steer clear of this vehicle...

Any information is helpful.

Thanks in advance.

-Brandon

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Extended warranty is a subjective thing. Depends on your risk management. PPI is always a good idea.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA