Potential Purchase of 05 LR3 with issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maskedmonkey2

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been an admirer of the discoverys for many years. I have come across what I think may be a hell of a deal, I'm interested to see what those of you experienced with the platform think.

I found an 05 LR3 V8 SE that seems to be fairly clean with 115k miles. The issues as relayed by the seller are:

Sunroof leak
Radio works intermittently
Battery dies after a few days of sitting
Transmission shifts "rough" in and out of neutral
1 tire has a flat spot from sitting

I looked at the carfax for the vehicle and it appears that this is it's 3rd owner since 2010. It doesn't appear to have been to a dealer for service since late 2009. The owner has replaced the air system with BA coils.

The seller has accepted my offer of $1500. I'm fairly confident that I can sort out the electrical gremlins, but it is the transmission issue that concerns me the most. I'm hoping that it is also an electronic issue related to the sunroof leak but would like to get a bead on what you fine people think, I know it's probably impossible to diagnose with such little information. My assumption is that for that kind of money I can't really lose, but I have no experience with this platform.

Thanks for any insight!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your assessment is spot on. I'd be all over it except for the transmission shift issue. Would resetting the adaptations help? Mechatronics sleeve? Or is it a whole new tranny? That's the $6000 question!

eloist

Reaction score
At that price if the rest of the truck is in decent enough shape, you could part it out and make some money if the transmission is shot.

Of course, you'd have $1500 ******* for a bit.

Olli Rita

Reaction score
Change the transmission fluid and filter, buy the LR stuff from British Atlantic or dealer.... While you're at it, change all the fluids below.... Transfer casing and differentials

E1966

Reaction score
for 1500.00 its a steal!
transmission could be the only major hick up, but even them I would take a chance. best of luck!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been an admirer of the discoverys for many years. I have come across what I think may be a hell of a deal, I'm interested to see what those of you experienced with the platform think.

I found an 05 LR3 V8 SE that seems to be fairly clean with 115k miles. The issues as relayed by the seller are:

Sunroof leak

I looked at the carfax for the vehicle and it appears that this is it's 3rd owner since 2010. It doesn't appear to have been to a dealer for service since late 2009. The owner has replaced the air system with BA coils.

The seller has accepted my offer of $1500. I'm fairly confident that I can sort out the electrical gremlins, but it is the transmission issue that concerns me the most. I'm hoping that it is also an electronic issue related to the sunroof leak but would like to get a bead on what you fine people think, I know it's probably impossible to diagnose with such little information. My assumption is that for that kind of money I can't really lose, but I have no experience with this platform.

Thanks for any insight!

I hate when a new member only posts 1 time and then disappears ..... how did it work out so far? Where did you buy it - just craigslist or some other source?

That shifting may be a simple fix.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....probably means he didn't end up buying it.

Ian Morrison

Biffo 69
Reaction score

Sunroof leak

Thanks for any insight!

Sunroof leak

Thanks for any insight!

Ian Morrison

Biffo 69
Reaction score

Sunroof leak

Thanks for any insight!
Hi

spawnywhippet

Reaction score
The rough shifting may be a cheapish fix. I recently fixed a LR3 transmission with 155k miles that was both slipping and suffering very rough jerky shifts. I pulled the transmission pan out, pulled the mechatronic unit and and replace all the solenoids for about $300. When reassembling, I used a Britpart pan upgrade with separate filter, Lifeguard 6 fluid and added some Lucas anti-slip. The transmission works perfectly now, shifts as smooth as butter and no slipping at all. 10k miles later and still 100%. Total cost was about $600, and it took most of a Saturday to do, working on my garage floor with jack stands.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA