power steering fluid in bellows - problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing the tie rods (104k miles) - took it in for an alignment and the shop said they needed replacing. Decided to give it a go myself, and realized why they called for replacement: the lock not for the ball joint was seized (enough that I snapped my channel locks trying to loosen it - pipe wrenches ftw!)

I noticed there was some fluid in the passenger side bellows/boot, though there was no leak of any sort, and it was certainly not full. Enough though that as I was trying to get the lock nut off in order to slide the boot off, fluid got whipped all over the garage floor. Let's say maybe a few tablespoons of fluid, all told.

The drivers side has no fluid, just grease on the rack as I would expect.

I recently had the power steering system flushed (last spring). From my searching, a little bit of fluid on a high mileage vehicle isn't necessarily a cause for concern. Aside from keeping an eye out for seeping and dropping fluid levels, should I do anything now of will signs manifest themselves before things fail catastrophically? Are the seals in the rack even replaceable?

Last edited:

Joe77

Reaction score
I would assume your PS fluid level has been consistent? If you haven't had to top it up then I wouldn't worry about it. As far as I know, the rack isn't serviceable so i would leave it be until either it starts leaking or your steering is affected.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72