Proud Rhino Lift Rods on the LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4PDX

Reaction score
Does any one have Proud Rhino Lift Rods installed on their LR4?

Price wise it looks like the Proud Rhinos are the way to go since the Johnson Rods are up to $185.00.

http://proud-rhino.com/lr3-discovery-3/lr3-lift-rods/

I know the Johnson Lift Rods are available for the LR3 & LR4, but did't know if anyone specifically bought Proud Rhino Lift Rods & mounted with success on their LR4 since they only appear to be for the LR3. Understood the suspension systems between the two models to be the same. Are the mount points of the limiting arms different possibly?

5Dpatrick

Reaction score
I have Rhino rods on my 2015. Got them from Lucky8. About a 2.5 inch lift I think. My next purchase was the IIDtool. I can raise and lower the truck now with my cell phone. I should have just gotten the IIDtool first and saved the money on the rods. I am Not sure what other people think about that, long term effects and such.

RBA1

Reaction score
My recommendation is to run at stock height for everyday driving and only raise the vehicle offroading. My friends permanently raised LR4 tore a bushing and bent a rod in the front suspension while in the middle of canyonlands. It sucked having to get him out. You are putting additional strain on the suspension and eventually it will catch up with you.

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a shop program a 1.5 inch lift on my lr4. Should I be concerned of any long term suspension damage with a small lift?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a shop program a 1.5 inch lift on my lr4. Should I be concerned of any long term suspension damage with a small lift?

You all should be more concerned with the fact that the vehicle is less stable at high speed when lifted higher than it was designed to do at such speeds.

I really don't understand the draw to the rods except for being cheap. They are a terrible idea in almost every way and provide nothing the electronic alternatives don't already provide.

The electronic tools are better in so many other ways and fully retain safe driving height for highway speed.

Causeway LR4

Reaction score
Tire wear is also a major concern. If you permanently raise it, you should get the vehicle re-aligned. Have you ever seen the positive camber to the wheels when it is in off road mode?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire wear is also a major concern. If you permanently raise it, you should get the vehicle re-aligned. Have you ever seen the positive camber to the wheels when it is in off road mode?

Actually, at off road height the tires are still barely flat. Thus the wear would really be more even while lifted as opposed to how they wear on the inside edge in factory standard height.

5Dpatrick

Reaction score
After I put on the rods, I had the alignment checked, it was still spot on. I decided to lower it 20mm with the IIDTool. That was just a little too much lift. It still felt stable and nimble, but as most of my current driving is highway miles, the 2.5 inch lift was a little too much. If/When I need it raised, well, I now have an App for that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA