Puff of Smoke and Limp Mode - now fine???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abolton

Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4 with about 70k on it. I drive it like a grandma most of the time, but the other day I had to give it beans from a standstill while getting on the highway with a short onramp. I hit about 5k RPM in 2nd gear when I suddenly lost power and a decent sized puff of smoke was emitted. Check engine light started flashing and it went into limp mode. I pulled over immediately and let it idle for a min then shut it off, restarted it and its been fine ever since.

Took it to a indie LR tech and he recommended an engine flush, but I had just changed the oil so I decided to hold off for now.

Anyone else experience this? Thought? Comments? Was this just the equivalent of an Italian tuneup?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*** is an "engine flush?"

Any codes? That will tell you what it is.

abolton

Reaction score
The check engine light went out so no current code. Re: the engine flush - he said that sometimes the V8's that either a) don't have their oil changed enough, or b) are driven gently can accumulate some oil sludge in the in and around the valves which can cause issues under heavy acceleration.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA