Putting 18" wheels on "96 Disco replacing 17"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FUSA

Reaction score
I would like to replace my wheels which have become warped with 18" wheels and tires. The stock wheels have become a constant annoyance because they leak air. They are no longer"true" . There are a lot mor options from Tire Rack for good looking wheels and Tire packages in the 18" selection. Has anyone done this and,if so,what were the results or problems.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't know tirerack even carried wheels for the 1996 Discovery? Maybe a DII, I also have never even heard of 18" wheels for a D1

SteveLK8Parts

Reaction score
Yes there actually are 18's that will work for D1's, they are the Sawtooth style that can be special ordered from Britpart they take about 10 days to receive to us and would ship out the same day... $275 each for Gloss Black or Silver and $40 each to ship ground we also could put them on a pallet to ship freight to avoid damages during shipping.

716 898 8153 ext 101
[email protected]

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FUSA, can you explain your "no longer true" rims in what direction there's a out of spec problem?
I've seen rims that have an axial wobble left to right like after smacking into a curb or sliding on ice impact. Not a radial out of true or round from a straight in impact problem without rim bead spreading or a flat spot condition.
I'm on the hunt for 18" rims looking to replace 16" rims on my 95 D1 yet still maintaining 5 x 6.5" (165 mm) vs later 120 mm rim bolt pattern.
Tire shop monkeys can bend these 16" rims trying to break the super high bead locks or retaining lips causing now a axial rim wobble. Minor run out an axial wobble (beads vs mounting surface) can be eliminated if only a minor wobble by placing the rim on a Bridgeport mill and removing a minor amount of material until the rim mounting surface is completely machined across.
Minor like 0.008" to 0.020" maximum without causing any weakness of the mounting surface. Tyre shops can (will) destroy these LR alloy rims trying to break those super tough and high rim bead locks. I've saved several LR rims in the past helping friends without any safety issues. Just have to know when to call a rim scrap vs repairable, a judgement call.
I know i'll be called out preforming an UNSAFE PROCEDURE.
You would be amazed watching how much straightening rim repair shops can heat and hydraulic press out large flat spotted rims back to round and true again, many rims I would call trash can material. Go on line and watch a video. .....~~=o&o>......

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV