Question: Installing a double din head unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done some research and looked at pics and I would love to try my hand at installing a new head unit. I know they don't make a dash kit so I would have to fabricate one, but my question is do they make an aftermarket harness to plug in the new unit without splicing any wires. If so can someone post a link to where I can buy it. If not does anyone have a wiring diagram. Thanks

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible...probably. Whats your budget? Reason I ask is if you pull out the stereo you're not going to see the same type of wires/cables as simple as most other cars. These systems use MOST bus fibre optic for communication. Do you just not like the look of the stereo?

rchase

Reaction score
Do you have H/K? Navigation? I have a close friend who owns a very high end car audio shop. Ill forward the info and get you some answers.

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR3 is an SE model without the navigation I have the HK 6 disc with the phone button.... and I'd rather have a nice touch screen double din with GPS and DVD built in the head unit. Alot of the guys over at the UK forum have them installed and they look nice. The fiber optic is for communication? What's it used for, the phone/ bluetooth option? I don't use that anyway so would I still need to hook that up to the new unit?

Last edited:

Bane

Reaction score
I have done some research and looked at pics and I would love to try my hand at installing a new head unit. I know they don't make a dash kit so I would have to fabricate one, but my question is do they make an aftermarket harness to plug in the new unit without splicing any wires. If so can someone post a link to where I can buy it. If not does anyone have a wiring diagram. Thanks

There are actually two different dash kits available.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_25138_Connects2-CT24LR02.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_25217_Connects2-CT23LR02A.html

The wiring harness is at:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23561_Metra-70-9500.html

I hope that helps!

Last edited:

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx Bane - I had found the dash kit but was unsucessful in finding the harness- anybody ever use this harness? Any problems? Also what about the fiber optic wires what do I do with them? I know you also need the antenna adapter and the steering wheel conrol adapter I found those. I just never installed a radio with fiber optics so Im not sure if I need them and if I dont hook them to anything will my Rover throw a fault.

Bane

Reaction score
Thx Bane - I had found the dash kit but was unsucessful in finding the harness- anybody ever use this harness? Any problems? Also what about the fiber optic wires what do I do with them? I know you also need the antenna adapter and the steering wheel conrol adapter I found those. I just never installed a radio with fiber optics so Im not sure if I need them and if I dont hook them to anything will my Rover throw a fault.

The MOST (fiber bus) is for the factory radio to communicate with the factory sirius unit, the factory dvd player, and the factory blue tooth units. Since you want to take out the stock head unit, you do not need to worry about it, as far as I know. The connections to the speakers and power are standard wire, not fiber.

drewman75

Reaction score
I considered doing something similar recently, but decided against it. If I am not mistaken, don't you lose some other functionality if you remove the head unit? For example the ability to change your info display settings, etc? Maybe not a big deal for some, but just thought I would throw it out there in case you weren't aware. I also thought I remembered reading that you have to completely re-wire every speaker as the wiring from the factory head unit isn't standard wiring. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I considered doing something similar recently, but decided against it. If I am not mistaken, don't you lose some other functionality if you remove the head unit? For example the ability to change your info display settings, etc? Maybe not a big deal for some, but just thought I would throw it out there in case you weren't aware. I also thought I remembered reading that you have to completely re-wire every speaker as the wiring from the factory head unit isn't standard wiring. I could be wrong though.

When I had my head unit out it had 3 harnesses , the main harness, the antenna, and the fiber optic .. I've put many head units in my other cars of the past so I figured if I had a aftermarket harness this would be pretty simple... the local high end car audio shop quoted me 300 bucks just for labor to install a head unit. If your right and I have to rewire the speakers and amp that would suck and I would definetely reconsider. I don't see how the display settings would have anything to do with the head unit but i've heard of stranger things and i'm just starting to get to know this truck so nothing is suprising at this point.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi