Questions regarding MSD install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5yearplan

Reaction score
Hello I am trying to properly install an MSD 6AL ignition on a 92 Range Rover County 3.9L v8. The problem is that the previous owner already installed in incorrectly. As I found from reading this: http://www.hevanet.com/jbeale/OLDSITE/Content/RangeRover/RangeRoverIgnitionMSD.pdf which seems to contradict with this: (post#4) http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/8-range-rover-classic/34707-msd-6a-questions-replace-use-ignition-control-module.html The previous owner removed the ignition module off the distributor and wired the MSD violet and green in its place, the white/black wire that goes to pin 39 on the ECU was taped off, and there is a white wire with black dotted tracer that goes into the MAF harness the PO installed onto coil (+). as a result the car is running lean and will die after idling for a few seconds, it barely moves under its own power. using a pico scope i was able to watch the injector open time in milliseconds drop to about half what it should be, i tested the injectors and harness ensuring adequate power and ground, and when i watched the current ramping of the injectors it was very weak which coincides with the information in the first link that the msd is taking too much current from the inj signal, so i purchased the msd tach adapter and a three wire rover ignition module and pigtail that has has leads on the outer two pins for the three wire module. I have been unable to find a good installation writeup and any help would be appreciated. :confused: thanks

Attachments

• rover1.jpg
    rover1.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 24
  • rover2.jpg
    rover2.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 24
  • ROVER WIRING.JPG
    ROVER WIRING.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

5yearplan

Reaction score
well, I did find that the reason the installation directions are different is because the latter post is an MSD digital ( I have the old 6420) and he was using the 8920 tach adapter ( I have 8910). I tried wiring it as the first attached diagram shows and the vehicle wont start, plugs are wet with fuel so no spark. The second shows the stock diagram according to alldata. The problem is I still cant figure out what the white and dotted black wire goes to, the diagram only shows one white and black wire...the PO has it on the coil (+) post and the vehicle wouldn't start without it... So my next move is tracking down the dotted white/black wire

Attachments

• ROVER WIRING.JPG
    ROVER WIRING.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 89
  • rover ign diagram.JPG
    rover ign diagram.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members