Radiator Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my radiator has a small leak in it, and I'm looking to get it replaced.

I see 3 options for replacement radiators, Nissens, Eurospare, and the OEM from Land Rover. OEM would be a no brainer but has anyone had any experience with the Nissens or Eurospare?

Also, a shop I called said the AC needs to be evacuated/recharged because the ac condenser lines are in the way to remove the radiator, anyone know if there's a way around this? I thought we were able to remove the fan shroud/fan, headlights/grill and fish the old radiator out somewhat easily?

Elliott

Reaction score
This is actually just happening to me as well. 2010 with around 91K miles. Had a small leak somewhere, that I then noticed a larger one in the snow. Topped it up and keeping an eye on it, and very little loss in about a week. Temperatures have been hovering around and above single digits, and I've just been doing short trips with it.

Started to prepare for water pump / crossover pipe(s) replacement (order from FCPEuro was in the cart, ready to go), and all of a sudden I had a nasty smell on the way home the other day. Luckily I wasn't far from my trusted indy mechanic (down the street from my house) and parked it there.

Unfortunately, with the temps below freezing, and the battering of snow we have been receiving, I won't be able to DIY. Good thing, as to when he called me with the diagnosis, he confirmed the water pump, but when pressure testing, he said it was "pouring" out of the radiator. Sadly, it's a 5-hour book job that required removal of the condenser. So with the part, the radiator alone is going to be about $1K.

Perhaps there is another way, but I have found the same that you have with my indy. He's a former, master tech at VW, and previously took care of my Touareg before I moved on to this a few years ago. Point being, I trust him to do the work I can't, or in this case won't (silly cold weather).

He also ID'ed a broken idler pulley that I wasn't aware of, and will do all of the preventative bits (crossover/thermostat/etc.) while in there, at my request. I think I'll end up around $2K. The other option is to fix the broken bits, and try to move on to something else, but I think we all know that does not make current economic sense given the ridiculousness of current prices! My indy agreed that I did NOT have to go that extreme, so all good there.

Good luck to you! Let us know if you find anything else out.

20200723_115338.jpg

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is actually just happening to me as well. 2010 with around 91K miles. Had a small leak somewhere, that I then noticed a larger one in the snow. Topped it up and keeping an eye on it, and very little loss in about a week. Temperatures have been hovering around and above single digits, and I've just been doing short trips with it.

Started to prepare for water pump / crossover pipe(s) replacement (order from FCPEuro was in the cart, ready to go), and all of a sudden I had a nasty smell on the way home the other day. Luckily I wasn't far from my trusted indy mechanic (down the street from my house) and parked it there.

Unfortunately, with the temps below freezing, and the battering of snow we have been receiving, I won't be able to DIY. Good thing, as to when he called me with the diagnosis, he confirmed the water pump, but when pressure testing, he said it was "pouring" out of the radiator. Sadly, it's a 5-hour book job that required removal of the condenser. So with the part, the radiator alone is going to be about $1K.

Perhaps there is another way, but I have found the same that you have with my indy. He's a former, master tech at VW, and previously took care of my Touareg before I moved on to this a few years ago. Point being, I trust him to do the work I can't, or in this case won't (silly cold weather).

He also ID'ed a broken idler pulley that I wasn't aware of, and will do all of the preventative bits (crossover/thermostat/etc.) while in there, at my request. I think I'll end up around $2K. The other option is to fix the broken bits, and try to move on to something else, but I think we all know that does not make current economic sense given the ridiculousness of current prices! My indy agreed that I did NOT have to go that extreme, so all good there.

View attachment 21571
Well I’m sipping a drink and about to order the Eurospare radiator from FCPEuro. Going to do some digging tomorrow and see if I can avoid removing the ac condenser.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had the crossover pipes and water pump done for ~$1.5k, so if you can get those done, plus the radiator, for $2k I think you're doing well for yourself.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 21571

Good lord what stuff do you have inside of there Mr Griswold?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’m pretty sure that evacuating/recharging the AC system is required. Looking at this condenser line, it’s attached to the radiator

Who designs this and thinks this is okay??

I got a quote of around $800 in just labor to replace the radiator… was honestly looking forward to doing this myself too… I don’t think it’s worth buying/renting AC system tools for this project.
2213B69A-06E6-4211-A014-20A98A0681BB.jpeg
CE0565EF-E34C-45BB-BD90-ED843FE31339.jpeg

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’m pretty sure that evacuating/recharging the AC system is required. Looking at this condenser line, it’s attached to the radiator

Who designs this and thinks this is okay??

I got a quote of around $800 in just labor to replace the radiator… was honestly looking forward to doing this myself too… I don’t think it’s worth buying/renting AC system tools for this project.
View attachment 21572View attachment 21573
I’ve replaced and LR3 radiator and LR4 radiator without disconnecting those lines. The key is DON’T FORCE anything. It will take some maneuvering but with the condenser, radiator, and receiver drier all disconnected, you’ll have to “angle” the radiator a bit to maneuver it out.

Same thing when going back in.

And MAKE sure you compare the new radiator to the old, as some of the mounting points are slightly different.

Get the Nissens hands down, that’s what I’ve used both times and it’s a great unit.

PM me if you need any help.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve replaced and LR3 radiator and LR4 radiator without disconnecting those lines. The key is DON’T FORCE anything. It will take some maneuvering but with the condenser, radiator, and receiver drier all disconnected, you’ll have to “angle” the radiator a bit to maneuver it out.

Same thing when going back in.

And MAKE sure you compare the new radiator to the old, as some of the mounting points are slightly different.

Get the Nissens hands down, that’s what I’ve used both times and it’s a great unit.

PM me if you need any help.
Good to hear that about the condenser lines.

I ended up ordering the Eurospare... was going with the logic of more $$ = more better.

I'll compare the two and if anything is off I have no problem sending it back.

The Rover

Reaction score
$4k to replace both the radiator and water pump at an indy. it's probably 7k at the stealership.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA