Rattling, clunk, squeal from fr. left wheel area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nelz99

Reaction score
I have this intermittent sound more noticeable at low speeds that sounds like a loose piece of sheet metal rattling but seems to be affected by the wheels speed. At very low idle crawl it sounds like brakes squeaking, and there's the occasional clunking sound going up hill and turning.... Would this be a wheel bearing or axle shaft scenario? It seems louder and more pronounced now that I removed the wheel to inspect it.

Some other thoughts were that it could be those goofy lug nuts rattling or maybe the tire pressure sensor broke and fell off in the tire??? haha I'm grasping at anything at this point

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like I'm always chasing phantom noises!

Do you happen to have a locking rear diff?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that's it....I had a clunk when my clutch packs were worn out. Sorry man....it's bad news.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it happen over bumps? Could it be a bushing?

Nelz99

Reaction score
I notice it most when doing a slight left turn, not so much on bumps. Sounds like loose thin metal Rattling almost like a heat shielding would sound but definitely in the wheel area. The dust shield is tight and secure.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure. You may need a mechanic with chassis ears to drive it.

Nelz99

Reaction score
well, thats what I was leaning towards then the other day the sound went away. So I'm thinking it might have been a rock in the dust shield. I jacked up the front end and theres was the slightest play in the bearing so I'm sure the hubs and bearings are due to be swapped soon...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV