Re-pairing an already paired phone- Bluetooth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deutsch100

Reaction score
Hope someone has some advice! My iPhone paired perfectly with my new 2008 Range Rover HSE. Upon starting, I would say 8/10 times, the phone pairs with the car, downloads my phone book & I make and accept calls fine. A couple of times a week, it does not pair. When I push the Phone button on the Navi headunit, it says "Phone Not Fitted". It seems the only way to fix this, is to turn the car off, take the key out of the ignition and wait a few minutes before re-starting. Almost always, the phone fits/pairs with the car. Is there a way to fit/pair a phone that is already paired? When the Navi screen says "Phone Not Fitted", the Bluetooth menu on my iPhone says Land Rover Paired. Many times I am driving on the highway, or in busy traffic...and I can't stop the car & take the key out of the ignition. Any advice, help? Thanks a lot!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you highlight Land Rover on the BT menu when the iPhone assumes it's paired to the car - although it really isn't - shouldn't a "Disconnect" option, or something similar, pop up ? If so, choose that option. If/when the iPhone successfully disconnects, manually select Land Rover again on the iPhone's BT menu, hopefully it will pair for real the second time around? Just guessing here, since I don't have an iPhone. However, that's more or less what I do with my 06 RRS in those rare instances when my Blackberry fails to pair automatically to the car.

Deutsch100

Reaction score
If you highlight Land Rover on the BT menu when the iPhone assumes it's paired to the car - although it really isn't - shouldn't a "Disconnect" option, or something similar, pop up ? If so, choose that option. If/when the iPhone successfully disconnects, manually select Land Rover again on the iPhone's BT menu, hopefully it will pair for real the second time around? Just guessing here, since I don't have an iPhone. However, that's more or less what I do with my 06 RRS in those rare instances when my Blackberry fails to pair automatically to the car.

Thanks Umbertob! The iPhone meunu is similar to your Blackberry. When the car says "Phone Not Fitted", the iPhone says Land Rover Paired. I can click on the highlighted Land Rover Paired, and then select un-pair. Never tried it, as I wasn't sure I would be able to re-pair without turning the engine off. I guess, if it is already messed up and not paired, it won't hurt to try un-pairing and then re-pairing. Appreciate the tip!

larrym

Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem with my iphone 3g and my 2008 RR SC.. Will pair correctly most of the time, but every 3-4 days I will get the "phone not fitted" message. Today the bluetooth connected ok, but when I would make a call the phone would dial then the radio would come back on though the phone call went through. The other person later told me his phone would ring but heard nothing... of course, after i restarted the RR later everything worked perfectly... very frustrating... probably will have to "live with it"... I'll keep checking this thread for any other thoughts... Thanks....

Deutsch100

Reaction score

This works. THANK YOU. When it happens to say "Phone Not Fitted", which is a few times a week, I just go now into my Settings, Bluetooth, unpair Land Rover, wait a few seconds, then Pair Land Rover, enter the Land Rover standard factory Bluetooth code 2121...and my iPhone fits/pairs, address book loads almost right away, and I can now pair without having to stop & turn off ignition. Although I never had to do this in any Mercedes, BMW, Lexus or Audi that I've had with Bluetooth (NEVER)...I have to be honest with myself, that Land Rover isn't exactly a genius with Technology of seamless operating systems. :frown:

roverhaul

Reaction score
I've been using the 3.0 beta of the iPhone software and while the non-connect issue still persists, everytime it's happened - I've been able to go to the BT menu on the iPhone and just tap on the LAND ROVER item listed and it reconnects properly - which saves the Unpair/Pair procedure, which I usually found myself doing while I was driving.

So there looks to be some hope on this for the future.

jeekaz

Reaction score
I have a 2008 RR HSE and iPhone3G, I experience the same thing, if I am lucky, the pairing happens when I start the car, 60-70% of the time.

When the pairing doesn't work, I just simply go to the iPhone bluetooth menu and turn off the bluetooth, wait for a second and turn it back on. This is easier than unpair and pair again. after you turn the BT back on, it might take 5-10 seconds before the phone menu appears in the Navi screen, I believe that's depended on your phone addressbook size. I have about 1800 addressbook listings in my phone, so it take a bit longer to get them loaded to the RR.

hope this helps and save you a min or two...

larrym

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.... Interestingly, I had my RR's software updated at my dealership a couple of months ago (for a different unrelated issue), and my iPhone now connects 99% of the time... the one time it didn't I used your method of un-pairing and re-pairing the bluetooth and it did work well.. You may want to inquire about having your software updated and see if that helps... best of luck...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV