Rear Brake Hose bulge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MKE ROVER

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this kind of failure on there rear brake hoses? Is there a factory service buliten on on this? Maybe there should be....
Issue: 2010 LR4 @ 60k rear hose brake line bulges or bubbles. (See pictures)
I was doing a pad replacement on my rear brakes and noticed a bulge in the rear line at the body attachment point on the passenger side. Out of curiosity I checked the drivers side too and noticed the bulge at the exact same place. Seems like too much of a coincidence for both sides to fail at the same place. I ordered all four lines(body to axle and axle to caliper) since it made no sense to have to go through the whole bleed process and not replace all 4 lines. Any feedback would be appreciated or any advice / warnings on the brake bleed process after replacing lines . Is this a know or common issue or am I just this lucky. Btw the lines have not failed yet, the oil you see is just penetrating oil I put on the fittings to ease my pain when I go to replace the lines.

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

MKE ROVER

Reaction score
A little added info, the two pictures are of opposite sides (driver & pass) you ca. See the bulge is right near the metal fitting crimp area. On both sides.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar thing on my '05.

My mechanic urged me to change the hoses immediately and didn't even want me to drive while waiting for the part. Those hoses could last like that for months or they could burst the next time you apply the brakes... leaving you with no brakes.

I'm no expert, but remember you can pull up on your emergency brake while driving to slow the car.

jhartz

Reaction score
Absolutely change now. Had it happen on my wife's 04 Maxima five years ago. The caliper on that side will not work: pressure is exerted on the bulge in the brake line.

Check all other lines: bleed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV