Rear Door Latch - child manually moved latch to locked position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JUHSTin

Reaction score
2013 LR4 LUX
The wife and I were loading up the car to go into town, and my 9yr old son was standing by the rear driver's side door while we got the baby situated into his carseat. With idle hands, he thought he'd mess with the child lock and lock latch of the open door. So now the latch is in the closed position, and I haven't been able to figure out how to get it moved back in the open position. As such, the door will not close because the closed latch hits against the locking bar on the vehicle. All my google and forum searching leads me to replacing the actuator.. and not just resetting or getting the latch in the open position again. Could he have broke the actuator by manually closing the latch with his fingers?

**Update** I figured it out, I simply had to pull on the interior door handle to open the latch again. Overcomplicated that one, huh?

Last edited:

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine he would have broken anything. Looking at the parts diagram, there seem to be two cables to the latch mechanism, one from the interior handle, one from the exterior handle. If he activated the child lock, the interior handle wouldn't do anything, but the exterior handle should (might be cycling the lock/unlock button on the front door). You may need something to try to pull the latch open again while you activate the handle (like the eraser end of a pencil).

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The workshop manual has a procedure for testing the door lock/latch mechanism (section starting page 4548 - I found links here to sites that had the manual available for download, "D4 Workshop Manual.pdf"). The test procedure involves latching the mechanism with the unit plugged into the electronics, but the door open. For the unlatching test, it states "With the latch in its unlocked state, push the latch exterior release lever against its return spring, whilst simultaneously applying a light pressure to release the latch claw using a small screw driver or similar".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA