Rear hatch still stuck!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I replaced the exterior rear door hatch switch. The upper hatch still would not open. No noise or anything when I press the button. Then I crawled in the back and undid the carpet and pulled on the cable and got the trunk open. Then i changed the actuator and the locking mechanism switch cable as well. I am still not having any luck at all. It's like there's no power running to the hatch. The lower hatch button works as normal though and that lower hatch opens normally. Does anyone have any ideas?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you are still having problems. You may have to trace the harness from the actuator connector to where it enters the ceiling.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious - how can you open the lower hatch if the upper hatch doesn’t open?

Does the upper hatch open with the key fob? if so, probably the switch is to blame.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious - how can you open the lower hatch if the upper hatch doesn’t open?

Does the upper hatch open with the key fob? if so, probably the switch is to blame.

I got the upper hatch to open by crawling through the inside of the truck to the back and removing the carpeting and yanking on the cable mechanism from inside to pop the door open. My issue is still the same once changing all the internal parts that needed changing.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you are still having problems. You may have to trace the harness from the actuator connector to where it enters the ceiling.

God this thing is annoying the crap out of me lol i’ve been through so many expensive/tedious repairs on this truck, but somehow this one is the real pain in the ass

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for my earlier question - I was just having a brain fart. Upper tailgate wouldn’t open, so you replaced the actuator (which is in lower gate) and the switch in in the upper gate. Is that correct? Does the tailgate open with the keyfob button?

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for my earlier question - I was just having a brain fart. Upper tailgate wouldn’t open, so you replaced the actuator (which is in lower gate) and the switch in in the upper gate. Is that correct? Does the tailgate open with the keyfob button?

Yes that is correct and no the tailgate doesn’t open with the keyfob button. Nothing happens when i press the keyfob button. No sound or anything.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that is correct and no the tailgate doesn’t open with the keyfob button. Nothing happens when i press the keyfob button. No sound or anything.

Did you test it after you installed the new switch and actuator, but before you buttoned everything up? IOW, did it work immediately after the replacement and then stop after you put the trim back together? Maybe something got pinched. I was also going to suggest checking the short corrugated conduits you can see at the top of the rear hatch when you open it but it's unlikely that anything got damaged there.

FWIW, when I first installed my updated actuator I was so pleased with myself that I started hitting the button and fob to test it before realizing I had forgotten to plug in the power connector to the actuator, duh. I would never accuse anyone else of possibly doing that, though!

Last edited:

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

may be a dumb question, but valet mode isnt enabled....right?
glove box and hatch would be disabled

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valet mode is a great suggestion - I totally forgot about it.

I don’t have a wiring diagram, but looks like the rear wiper motor probably is wired into the same power harness. Maybe check to see if you have power to the wiper.

Looks like there was at least one TSB on some of the earlier LR4’s regarding corrosion in the tailgate switch harness: TSB10104701. I know you replaced the switch, but maybe there is some corrosion in the harness connector or a ground someplace in the tailgate.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV