Rear locker comes on more often than I thought

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I happened to want to use the LR4's elevation read-out to track general altitude as I drove through an area I usually cycle through. Naturally, this mode shows the lockers. I have the HD pkg so I show two lockers.

To my surprise, as I was pulling away at a light at a brisk but reasonable pace, I saw the rear locker light up and stay one for a couple of seconds. I thought perhaps it was an error but then wondered if it is used to ensure smooth take-offs.

To test it, I decided to do what I've never done: a fast sprint off the line. I put the LR4 in Sport, hit the brakes, revved to about 2krpm and "launched" the car. Sure enough, BOTH lockers came on right off the line with the middle one going back to green shortly and the rear one staying on for a couple more seconds.

Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I found it interesting that the lockers would come on a hot day with totally dry roads. I'm curious if the non-HD LR4's use stability control to compensate or perhaps they are less smooth on take off. It is pretty clear the rear locker is doing something to assist take offs. I had always remarked on how smooth and drama-free the LR4 was off the line and fact that I don't recall it ever flashing the traction control lights even in the craziest of winter storms. But I knew then both lockers came on as needed.

I guess my point is that perhaps the HD pkg has some subtle benefits beyond the obvious help in rock crawl mode or other severe off road duty work.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I always see the lockers light up under hard acceleration. Don't even need to be "launching" the truck, just a firm foot to the floor usually does it.

Red Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for writing this up - I always assumed that the lockers would not engage unless it was done manually or in conjunction with one of the special terrain programs. My LR4 does have the HD package so I will have to pay attention to this in the future.

LR4 in CO

Reaction score
What are the settings when you do this?

-Hi or Lo Range
-Terrain Response

I've only tried it in Lo Range with Terrain Response set to Rock Crawl.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I always see the lockers light up under hard acceleration. Don't even need to be "launching" the truck, just a firm foot to the floor usually does it.
The same here. It is normal.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the settings when you do this?

-Hi or Lo Range
-Terrain Response

I've only tried it in Lo Range with Terrain Response set to Rock Crawl.

Regular driving on Hi. I was driving on dry, well-kept suburban roads.

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"To test it, I decided to do what I've never done: a fast sprint off the line. I put the LR4 in Sport, hit the brakes, revved to about 2krpm and "launched" the car."

What is this "sport" mode you talk of? and why don't I have it?!?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We all should have a Sport mode... If you have a 2013 or earlier with traditional shifter, flip the shifter to the left while driving to change from D to S, if you have a 2014+ with a dial, I think you just turn it to "S" instead of "D", no?

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am an idiot. I had no idea that was considered sport mode. hahahaha
Thank you. wow.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We all should have a Sport mode... If you have a 2013 or earlier with traditional shifter, flip the shifter to the left while driving to change from D to S, if you have a 2014+ with a dial, I think you just turn it to "S" instead of "D", no?

Correct, push down and turn the knob to S from D.

Do 2013 and earlier models have paddle shifters?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72