Rear locking differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

workingclass

Reaction score
I just purchased a 05 LR3 HSE and im not sure if i have a locking differential or not. On the 4x4 info screen it shows a lock "unlocked" for the center and the rear differentials. Does that mean that i have it? The reason i ask is because i have a donut as a spare. One other thing can i run my vin some how and find out what features i have on my LR3?

Thanks,

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer can run the VIN and tell you for sure if your LR3 has the HD pack. The two "padlocks" on the 4x4 GUI are displayed whether you have rear lockers or not, although if you don't have them they will always "lock" - turn red - and unlock concurrently when offroading. If you do have electronic rear lockers, just like the differentials the two icons will behave independently from each other, showing the actual state (locked/unlocked) of center and rear lockers.

The fact you have a compact spare is not a good sign though... You could also slide under the car and see if you can locate the wiring harness of the actuator/solenoid sticking out of the rear differential assembly. If you cannot see the wiring, you don't have a rear locking diff:

Locking diff:
lockdiff.jpg

Open diff:
nonlock.jpg

A: Lockers B: No lockers
diff.jpg

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to contradict the all knowing "Umberto" :hello: , but the screen will not show both locks switching concurrently if you don't have the rear locking diff. It will always leave the rear one showing as unlocked. Only the center one will switch to locked. But if you have the rear locking diff, the rear one will show locked as well, when needed. Best way is to go into Rock Crawl mode and get on a steep incline. They should both show locked if you have it. If you have a small spare, 99.9% sure you don't have the rear locking diff, since the only way to get it in the U.S. is with the whole "Heavy Duty Package" option, which comes with a full size spare in addition to the locking rear diff. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, full-size spare is probably the best tell but Boaz's test can tell you for certain.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree with Boaz. I have seen many if not all unlocked LR3's and RRS's that show the red locked symbol. This is dozens of these vehicles, probably about 60 to 70 or so.

Last edited:

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an unlocked Sport before and it never showed locked on the rear diff even in Rock Crawl on the steep stuff. Seems like that would be a malfunction if it wasn't locked but was showing that it was. Hmmm..

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I half disagree with Boaz. I have seen many if not all unlocked LR3's and RRS's that show the red locked symbol. This is dozens of these vehicles, probably about 60 to 70 or so.
Agreed - our LR3 without diff lock shows the symbol locked.

-Rich

LR3&SD

Reaction score
From the pictures above the "locking differential" appears to be more of a limited slip differential that has variable pressure applied to the clutch packs. It should not be call a locking differential, but it is not just a normal limited slip.

Is the center differential constructed the same?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...to woods and pike....to carify, BOAZ is referring to the icon of the REAR diff. The 4x4 info screen graphic has an icon for both the center and the rear differentials. Jog your memory, was the center one showing locked, or the rear? ....or both? I doubt Boaz is wrong on this one otherwise the display would be meaningless.

...as for the full-size spare being a tell whether or not the rig is equipped with the HD package, it would depend too on whether it is straight from the factory or if the dealer/previous owner had time and/or opportunity to switch the spare one way or the other.

All of these things put together would pretty much tell you one way or the other:

1. Check the spare.
2. Go drive in Rock Crawl up a hill and look at the display.

If you have the fullsize spare and the display shows the REAR diff locked, you have the HD. If you do not have the fullsize spare and the display does not show the rear diff locked, you do not have HD.

That ought to do it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut