Rear Main Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Va_Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am replacing my 1998/99 D1 transmission this weekend. Wondering how hard it is to replace the rear main seal? It still has the factory gems 4.0, Can it be done with out pulling the oil pan? I haven't looked at the rave yet due to my work schedule. I have done this on many other vehicles and it was as simple as take out the old one and press in the new one, I am just wondering if rover has made it this simple or not.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
That is one thing I don't know. Hope someone can share good info.

Va_Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after a lot of research today I have discovered that the seal does slide over the crank and into the block. I was worried that it was sandwiched between the block and the rear main bearing carrier. I really didn't want to drop the oil pan. So it looks fairly straight forward. I will take lots of pictures and post a write up when I am done putting everything back together.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you make it a separate thread we can add it to the Article section.

Va_Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will do that. It was hard to find good information. I will try and do a proper write up to help people in the future.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV