Rear strut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattmann

Reaction score
Quick question for you more experienced owners. I bought a lr3 about a week ago and immediately noticed a lot of squeaking from the rear passenger area. Between myself and my father in law, we have both decided fairly certainly it’s the strut assembly and not a bushing. I ordered a used oem one from eBay that is a pull off in decent shape for $90. This is not a every day vehicle but more of a hobby truck for me and my family. Anyways, the install seems fairly simple but do I need to drain all the air from the strut? I have the truck in “access mode” to fit in my garage, is that okay to change it while it’s in that mode or does more air need to come out? If so, how do I accomplish this? Thanks in advance!!
71f114604250f25f38799dc5b6453871.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattmann

Reaction score
Is this a dead forum??? I feel like I would have at least one response??

COBlue

Reaction score
First, nice looking rig!
You’re putting the truck on jack stands right? You’ll want it as high as you can get it so you have room to work.

At the top of the strut are three nuts and the air line. You have to detach the line at the strut which releases the pressure from the air spring. Then you are only working against the resistance of the shock.

I dropped the spare to get better access to the nuts and air line.
It’s not a difficult job, just time consuming because of limited wrench swing. A ratcheting flex boxend or 1/4” drive socket really helps.

mattmann

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the comments. Little tricks like dropping the spare is helpful for sure. I wasn’t using a jack stand but do I need to?

Redinak

Reaction score
So the squeak was from outside? My tailgate squeaked for a while until I fixed it..lol

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES - Jack stands. 3 ton trucks falling on you is very unhealthy.

IMHO - Squeaky struts is rare. More likely a bushing in the control arm.

mattmann

Reaction score
YES - Jack stands. 3 ton trucks falling on you is very unhealthy.

IMHO - Squeaky struts is rare. More likely a bushing in the control arm.
Ended up being the lower control arm bushings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV