Rebuilt my compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stevorino33

Reaction score
So I have the suspension fault normal height only c1a20-64. So I rebuilt the compressor and changed the relay the light is still on after clearing it with a gap tool. When I rebuilt the compressor I did slightly bend the metal plates that are in the desiccant chamber. I don’t know if that’s the issue as those don’t seal air and just hold the beads in place which they still do fine. I changed the seals on the piston as well. I just want to know if there’s anything else I should check. I have rebuilt all 3 valve blocks as well. This leads to my last question how good are some of the cheap compressors on Amazon. I’ve seen some for about 200 dollars and might get one of those for the time being until I can afford another oem style one. Winter has been tough on the wallet otherwise I’d just get an oem one now but it’s pretty much out of the question. Thanks for any advice.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Hitachi and ordered an aftermarket but it was Hitachi brand, I can't remember where from but it was the exact match to the one I took out except it didn't have Landrover on it. I had rebuilt the old one once and am pretty sure I paid like $160 for the aftermarket Hitachi. It's been in for over a year with no issues. Range Rovers . net has an article covering this error code and there was an air leak at the red connector that was the problem after rebuilding the compressor. Try the soap and water spray looking for bubbles and you might find a leak.

Stevorino33

Reaction score
Thanks do you have any idea what brand compressor that was? Did it say hitachi in the description? I did the soap and water test found bubbles where the blue and red fittings are so I switched the cover for a new one and now there are no bubbles but the code is still there.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a hitachi brand but just didn't have LR on it anywhere. I looked in my email and can't find where I ordered it from but I'm 99% sure it was less than $160. And I actually just threw away the old one but am pretty sure I got the numbers off one of the LR parts places and then googled that.

Stevorino33

Reaction score
Thanks I’ll look around for it . Currently it says it’s normal height only and I might just try to push it until I have the money for a new one anyways

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought also, I posted on another thread that the center gear selector has switches for the suspension and those connectors can get corroded through spilled drinks or open sunroof in rain and also can cause suspension errors. You might pull that assembly out and look for corrosion.

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through this last year, I ordered the amazon unit $170 that failed 6months later, got a warranty replacement and that failed out of the box, amazon customer service sent me a better heavy duty brand that failed weeks after I installed it. I learned a very hard annoying lesson, spend the $450 and by the Hitachi brand that came with your LR3.

If you are not in a big hurry this is the cheapest price I have found.

Last edited:

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1677435798099.png

I thought I threw away the old compressor but didn't, if I recall correctly the replacement I bought was identical but didn't say Landrover on the end cap.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut