Replaced Rear Air Valve - New Symptoms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Airstream345

Reaction score
My 08 LR3 started showing signs of a bad/leaking rear air valve recently. Rear was low then on the bump stops overnight. Battery disconnect test showed both sides lowering evenly so last weekend I replaced the rear air valve (what a PITA by the way).

Now only the passenger (right) side lowers in the morning, also with the battery disconnected.

I'm going to recheck the fittings this weekend but thought I'd see if anyone had some sage advice or additional things to check.

Suspects would be the fitting, the air-line (please dear Lord don't let it be the air-line) or the bag.

Appreciate any and all replies in advance.

Last edited:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air System files for your info.

As you changed the rear air valve out, I think you pretty much must know how the system works, but below is a link to wiring and pneumatic drawings.

I suspect the right side air line is just not properly inserted into the new valve block and hence leaking.

Before you actually tear things apart, try some Snoop or a soap bubbles solution at the block valve to see if an air leak shows. Leaky air springs are possible but that is rare.

Well the air springs can leak not thru the rubber but thru the shock parts and that is a real problem. In a practical sense, that means a new air spring and shock assembly.

Also check for a leak where the air line goes into the top of the right shock.

Regardless, my thinking is that you have not wasted your money or your time.

Half the problem has now been solved, so even if there is a leaking right side air spring, you also had a leaking block valve.

When de-energized, the three solenoid valves fail closed; hence lose of air should be isolated to only one side. If both sides go down as they did, then there are either two failed air springs or lines, or one failed air spring or line and the block valve.

And yes, that rear block valve is no fun to replace.

Below is a link to a number of air system files - wiring and pneumatic etc.

http://www.disco3. co. uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3778

Copy and paste the above link but remove the two extra blank spaces added to allow the link to remain visible due to blocking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV