Replacement Valve Guides

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone one here replaced valve guides on the 5.0 V8 engine? This is sort of an offshoot from another thread that I have for rebuilding an LR4. Long story short, the passenger bank timing skipped, bent a couple of valves and now a couple of the valve guides are a bit loose and likely need replacing according to the machine shop. The issue being that Land Rover does not sell these separately from the head, which seems absurd as they are available for previous generations. I can’t be the first one to come on this issue. Would certainly entertain putting in something aftermarket or from a different model if the fit is right. Yes, I did also check from the Jag side of things as well as sourcing parts from Ford as these heads do have a Ford part number stamped on them, but from my searches only point to Jaguar/Land Rover parts, pretty much putting me in the same predicament. Any help or ideas are welcome, I’m a bit stumped at this point.

Thanks,
Slavo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is a bit on the old side, but I just found these:

Granted these are for the V6 supercharged engine, but I'm going out on a limb and assuming they'll fit the V8 5.0 engines. I'll let you know how it goes as I have my 5.0 engine at the machine shop right now. FYI, I purchased 32 of them for $380. (He had me order 5 sets of 5 and was going to ship 32) When they arrive in a few days I'll take them down and double check they fit my/our application and let you know.

Granted this is probably WAY too late for you, but maybe someone else will need the info? Or if you're anything like me, other projects have sidetracked you and the engine is still waiting for ya! LOL!

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is a bit on the old side, but I just found these:

Granted these are for the V6 supercharged engine, but I'm going out on a limb and assuming they'll fit the V8 5.0 engines. I'll let you know how it goes as I have my 5.0 engine at the machine shop right now. FYI, I purchased 32 of them for $380. (He had me order 5 sets of 5 and was going to ship 32) When they arrive in a few days I'll take them down and double check they fit my/our application and let you know.

Granted this is probably WAY too late for you, but maybe someone else will need the info? Or if you're anything like me, other projects have sidetracked you and the engine is still waiting for ya! LOL!
My local machine shop was able to identify valve guides with the same specs (inside/outside diameters and length) as found in some Subaru models that are readily available. I'll try to dig up the info for someone else's benefit.

Let us know how yours go!

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the info! If the ones I bought don’t fit, I’ll order the ones you listed! I’m rebuilding the whole engine, and with everything apart, not doing the valve guides would almost be a crime!!!

Thanks!

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the info! If the ones I bought don’t fit, I’ll order the ones you listed! I’m rebuilding the whole engine, and with everything apart, not doing the valve guides would almost be a crime!!!

Thanks!
Honestly, I wouldn't tear out the valve guides unless you really need to, well at least that's at the advice of my local machine shop. They only replaced 3 of them as the respective valves made contact with the cylinders bending the valves and loosening the guides a bit. They checked the rest of them as a precaution but there wasn't any excessive play anywhere else. Hope this helps!

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I’ve been talking with my machinist, and as soon as he gets the the heads, we’ll check the clearances per the manual. That said, I’m installing new valves all the way around…it’s a long story, but I bought a full set for a project I was thinking about, then went a different direction. With that said, I figure it’s better to have them and not need them, rather than get everything apart and then get stuck waiting for parts, shuffled back in line at the machine shop!

With a little luck the shop will get to it next week and I’ll let you know!

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
@slav rys My buddy's LR4 5.0L has the same issue and needs to get that all worked out in Denver too. Where about in Denver did you get your heads done? And do you mind, how much did that run you (you can PM me if you want to keep it private)? TIA

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA