Reserve light, distance to empty....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically, how much fuel is left when the reserve light comes on?

My car is still fairly new, but I typically end up putting @18 gallons in her when I fill up. Yesterday, I had averaged around 13.5mpg, and had about 30 miles until empty on the computer. I put in 18.3g. A quick google search indicated a 2012 LR4 has a 22.8g tank....So I had 4.5 gallons left, the numbers don't add up...any insight? If my time to empty and average are accurate, that perhaps accounts for 2 gallons. Do I really have 2.5 gallons of deadspace, or is something off, like my math! :)

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you keep putting fuel in after it clicks off the first time? I don't know how much fuel the filler tube would hold but it could be a gallon or more,

The most I ever put in my LR4 was 18.1 gallons with 0 miles left to go. Normally I got way better mileage than you are getting though. I don't think even my worst tank was as low as 13.5 overall.

Rob

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, well its probably zero highway miles, never over 40mph, just shuffling the kids around. I work from home, so sadly its probably the worst circumstances for getting better gas mileage. I have a long road trip next week, so we will see what I get...

So, doesn't it seem a bit strange? You put 18 gallons into your tank with zero miles left, yet we have a 22.8g tank...and yes, I put more gas in after the first click..

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my Full Sized RR's at 0 miles I still had about 4 gal. left, but on my LR4's, at 0 miles, I only have about 2 gal. left... meaning 20 gal. put in. I only put a little bit in after the pump stops, but I do slow the pump way down for the last gallon. I think on a low tank, the pump will shut off sooner if it's flowing at full speed. Nowadays, you can definately damage the carbon cannister system by forcing alot of extra gas in after the pump stops.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel capacity and reserve should be in the owner's manual. Not trying to be flippant :tongue:

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't think you were flippant (well, maybe just a bit :biggrin: ), I should have mentioned I did look at the manual. It confirmed that I have a 23g tank. Although I didn't notice until this morning that the warning lamp section states that the low fuel warning light comes on when you have 3 gallons left. Its still hard for my feeble brain to tie off on the math though.... just seems like a lot of dead space for that extra 1.5 gallons or so, or the distance to empty calc is a bit off.

Perhaps the better question should have been: how much fuel are people putting into their vehicles when get the warning light, or @reach distance to empty of zero...

BTW, is there a way to get a pdf of the manual? TOPIx only seems to work when online...

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once I let it go down to just 1 mile on the DTE. When I went to fill up, I was only able to put in 19.6 gallons. This is the most I've ever filled up (I think) and I never top off beyond the click.

I've also noticed that when you first fill up, the DTE+Miles driven will be much higher than when you are close to empty. When I've just filled up, the DTE will show around 375. When I'm close to empty, the numbers are closer to 35 DTE + 300 miles driven. Where did the other 40 miles go? Probably in those 3 gallons that are unaccounted for...

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
BTW, is there a way to get a pdf of the manual? TOPIx only seems to work when online...
IIRC, Topix will only gives you the owner's handbook in slices. I downloaded each of the 56 PDF files and then concatenated them into a single file for convenience. I can see why they only meet out a little at a time. The concatenated file is just over 8mb.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut