Restricted Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

equilibrium

Reaction score
I have got restricted performance message on MY13 5.0NA with the below codes. The throttle body was replaced last year. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Screenshot_2023-02-10-11-55-14-874_com.gap.iidcontrol.jpg

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the throttle position sensor is saying there is a problem or the problem is the sensor itself or the wiring to it. I'd at least inspect it and see if there is a jam going on or some dirty bits getting in the way of the butter-fly operation.

steevo

Reaction score
P0122 and P2135 point to the electronic throttle control. P2105 is a code that shows some fault is requesting reduced engine performance, not necessarily a TB fault. If you fix the first two codes, P2105 will go away. Since the TB is only a year old, I suspect the pedal assy. First try the TB relearn procedure in the GAP Tool. If that doesn't fix it, use the live data to check the accelerator pedal response, and the actual vs. requested throttle data PIDs.

The LR4 doesn't have your ordinary TPS mounted on the TB. Basically the ECM is getting an out-of-spec (low) voltage from the elect. Throttle control. That signal is causing a throttle position mismatch between what the TB is reporting to the ECM and what the throttle is reporting to the ECM. The ECM then sets P2105 as a "failsafe" to protect the engine since it can't determine what is going on.

modesto_man

Reaction score
I'm getting the same TPS code plus P2105:
P2105-00 - Throttle actuator control system - forced engine shutdown (A8)
P0122-00 - Throttle/pedal position sensor A - circuit low input (A8)

I replaced the mass air flow sensors and cleaned the throttle body about 6 months ago when it was throwing throttle body faults (P2119). All the faults stopped until just a couple weeks ago. You suppose I should try the relearn procedure too?

steevo

Reaction score
Yes. If that doesn't work, follow the same troubleshooting steps for the accelerator pedal assy.

equilibrium

Reaction score
Thank you all..
The issue is not permanent. It occurs intermittently and usually it happens in the morning at start up. Switching the engine off and on again would clear the issue immediately and everything will run smoothly.

I tried cleaning the MAF sensors and throttle body with no luck. Restricted performance message will popup again after a while.

Since I have already replaced the throttle body, I'm thinking of replacing the accelerator pedal assembly. would that help?

Today I got 2 extra codes...(System too rich)
Screenshot_2023-08-06-17-27-52-741_com.gap.iidcontrol.jpg

modesto_man

Reaction score
I'm not sure how to run the relearn procedure for the pedal assembly. And I don't really know what the gap till is telling me. Should these percentages match? What's the best resource for learning about these settings? Is there an on line manual I can refer to? Thanks!!

Screenshot_20230806_114058_IIDControl.jpg

steevo

Reaction score
Sorry, looks like GAP doesn't have the TB relearn function, its on my Autel. You can go into GAP and clear the ECM adaptations which will essentially do the same thing, except it clears all adaptations not just the TB. You'll have to drive it for awhile to get the ECM to relearn all the sensors.

Before you do that, look at live data for the below (as a graph) with ign on, engine off, as you slowly depress the pedal:
-Absolute Throttle Position A
-Absolute Throttle Position B
-Accelerator pedal position sensor Circuit D
-Accelerator pedal position sensor Circuit E
-Commanded throttle actuator control
-TPS Voltage Sensor 1 (optional)
-TPS Voltage Sensor 2 (optional)

They should all smoothly increase on the graph as you press the pedal (except the sensor voltages-They are inverse of each other, one will go up, one will go down)
At full throttle, commanded throttle should be at or very near 100%. Abs Throttle position doesn't get to 100%, that's Ok.
The two Abs Throttle should be close, and smoothly increase with no spikes or dropouts, same for the two Accelerator position readings
TPS voltage with foot off the accelerator should be ~0.5-0.6v (sensor 1) and ~4.2-4.6v (sensor 2). I don't remember what they are at WOT, sorry. If I get a chance, I'll snap a screenshot at idle & WOT of my LR.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV