Reverse Light Wiring Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t you turn on or off the reverse lights with the IID tool in the test section? I know you can do this with the front headlights but I haven’t tried it with the reverse lights.

Possibly, haven't looked though. But that would require the truck to be on, as well as having the IIDTool hooked up. I'm looking to use the reverse lights as work lights when needed. For setting up camp, hitching a trailer, grilling a steak, etc. Don't want to have to start the truck, just want to flip a switch and have some light available.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that would be the simplest solution. Adding a fuse tap would alleviate looking for the wire, tapping it, etc.

It's a 12v system. The electrons only travel so fast... Or something like that.

Alternator voltage would be the max voltage and that is metered by the regulator.

Been thinking of @Michael Gain suggestion, and might be overthinking this, but wanted to check.

If I simply popped an "add a fuse" into the fuse 12 slot and then wired the pigtail of the "add a fuse" to switched 12V, that should accomplish what I am trying to do, correct? Reverse lights would come on when factory switch activated, or would illuminate when switch on the "add a fuse" pigtail was activated.

I was originally thinking this would not be a good idea, because if I inadvertently left the "add a fuse" switch in the on position, and then shifted into reverse the circuit would then be fed with two +12V inputs at the same time. However, after getting home and relaxing with a beer, I'm thinking it wouldn't matter. The electrical potential of the circuit is the same, as both +12V inputs share the same electrical potential since they are being fed by the same battery and routed to the same ground.

Someone better at DC wiring take a look at the diagram below and chime in here. If both inputs to fuse 12 are "hot" at the same time, am I still at 12V and 5 amps to the reverse lights?

View attachment 12300

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi